Two unusual sightings

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Two unusual sightings

Post by Spreckly »

Recently I spotted the most beautiful young fox as I was driving past. For a moment I thought it was going to cross the lane in front of me, thankfully not. It is only the second fox I have seen in the seventeen years of living here.

Then as few days later, driving into the nearest town down a quiet lane, I saw what at first I thought was a person crouching on the grass verge. As I got nearer, it looked like a huge cockerel, but it turned out to be a cream pheasant. No tail, and absolutely stunning. It zig zagged in front of my car, and was so close that I could take in all the details. When I got home, I googled "cream pheasant", and sure enough, that was what I had seen.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Two unusual sightings

Post by kitla »

I guess it was a domestic one that escaped. We used to get black ones in the wild around here, they were wild ones with a mutation - a bit like albino.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

None of them are native birds. I think I read that the shoots deliberately include some fancy breeds as they are easier to spot once released
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Whilst I have seen nothing unusual, my neighbooour has. She and her husband have spotted a white tailed eagle on two occasioons recently. The enormous bird which has a win g soan of eight feet has twice visited the huge trees at the bottom of their garden. I have yet to see the photo, but how amazing!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gosh. Hope you see it too
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire