My hedgehogs

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

My hedgehogs

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a visitor every night to my garden, a hedgehog scuttles across the lawn to feed on the cat food I put out for it. Then it takes a long drink from an old frying pan I keep filled up with water. This is usually used by the birds for bathing. It's so funny to see Mr Hedghog with his front legs over the edge, and his nose in the water.

The visit usually happens between 9.45 and 10.15, but the other night he came at 7.45, so I could watch him for longer. Last night I had a bonus, as I looked out I saw two hedgehogs playing on the lawn, it was lovely. I can't get a photo because it is getting dark by that time, and if I go out it disturbes them and they freeze. So I have to be content to watching them from my window. I love hedgehogs.

Ilona
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Re: My hedgehogs

Post by 4c lady »

Hedgehogs are so cute. Ive got a hedgehog box down the garden and in the summer I get a vistor and everytime he turns in the box you can hear his spines scrape the wooden walls and all my chickens stand to attention as they can hear this new noise. I usually hear him round my garden when I get home from my second job and lock the chickens up he is always snuffling round the back of the pond area in particular. I always feel sad when I see a squished hedgehog on the road especially as there are less and less of them around these days.
wendy

Post by wendy »

They are such lovely creatures.
We used to have one in the garden, but not for a long time now.
I think they must be declining. Becausee we used to always see them and especially killed on the roads {cry} but we just don't see them in any shape or form now. Which is so sad.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It's awful when you see them dead on the road. {cry} I am surrounded by big gardens so plenty of places for them to explore, no need for them to venture across the road. Although I am in a cul de sac, we have one or two boy racers up and down, {mr.angry} I would love to throw a stinger across in front of them. )de:

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I keep a spare pair of gardening gloves in my car (and have done since I passed my test 11 years ago) to lift hedgehogs off the middle of the road. Sometimes I have to watch them for ages before they uncurl and poke their heads out- then I can work out which way they are pointing and give them a lift across the road. I worry that if I put it back where it started, it would try to cross the road again and maybe get squashed.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!