Guess the Visitor

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

We had a surprise visit from one of the locals yesterday. Not a possum - but an echindna. The chooks and the goats were very interested, but luckily none were brave enough to get too close.

(I'll put a couple of pics in the album)

Still trying to get the crimson rosellas, but as soon as I run in to get the camera, they fly off! (Different from the type that TD put in, the ones here are a dark crimson all over with blue on their wings. The young and the females have patches of green - beautiful.)

cheers
Jodi
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Dat's some BIIIGG puddy tat on de fence! Thought ours was big, Cerys is intimidated by seagulls, dont blame her because they are big close up. Wouldnt want to be hit by one of them either (f+
Looove chucks!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Oh love the echindna, bit like out hedgehog but way bigger.
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Dave yeah the blue ghost spooky or what ((w
We are a bit lucky in that none of the neighbours or us have a dog in the back yards so we get lizards and bandicoots (as yet unseen! but their holes are there) as well as the cheeky possums.
Galahs are great birds in nature but I can't say i'm much of a fan of living near one in an aviary - very LOUD!!!!!
Jodi love the echidna! yes that story about the birds disappearing when the camera comes out is so familar- they're uncanny!! The rosellas are in our yard almost every day and i think that is the only photo i have managed to get ......
seahorse i agree - what a well fed cat! to be fair i think a lot of it is 'winter coat' as it's out in all kinds of terrible weather and doesn't seem to feel the cold at all. i dont know why it isn't sitting in front of a warm heater at such times!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

How can the cat sit on the fence - it's so narrow?? Mine might have a go at walking on it, but lying on it........???? Must have little dainty paws!!
Small steps lead to big changes
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

morph i dont know! i often wonder - i've seen it walk through the long grass and its so 'low bodied' that it has to sort of jump like a rabbit!!

it looks like the 'monorail cat' picture that does the rounds of the web/email !!!! like it's going whirrrrrrr along the fence ...hehehehee
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

haha yes it does!!! )grin2(
Small steps lead to big changes
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Cerys has the nickname of ...hovercat... as she has a kind of skirt(Flab) and can also sit on a fence , like the things you can get for the arms of the sofa to put the remote controls in :-D (f+
Looove chucks!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

heh hehe ! i can just see it :razz:
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

just wanted to give an update on how naughty my visitors are!! (the one at the very beginning of this thread)

a few weeks ago i was asleep in bed and i was woken by SCREEECHHHHH ing outside near where my chicken sleeps (which isnt far from my bedroom window)

I jumped up and went racing outside meanwhile hearing another blood curdling screech and expecting to see feathers everywhere (but also wondering what the heck would have gotten in my yard that eats chickens).

Nup, chicken fine but curious, possums sitting on the fence looking bewildered at the light. They had been fighting (I think) right outside the house on the fence. NAUGHTY!

THEN a couple of nights ago heard a thump on the deck outside the window. Turn on the outside light and look out the window to see a possum having a nice drink of water out of one of the little containers id put around for my chicken (as its so hot dont want her to forget about her water!) I dont even know how it found this little container of water, let alone get its big furry head into it...... time to change the water!

I have finally found the secret to attracting wildlife to your garden - don't try!!!!
)t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

lovely, how lucky are you.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

You do get some amazing things in your garden, if I ever see things like that in mine, my drinks been spiked :shock:
Cheers
mel x