Under Attack - it's the Ladybirds !

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Under Attack - it's the Ladybirds !

Post by Richard »

In this part of Kent and probably elsewhere, we are infested with Ladybirds. Not the normal one's, but the killer one's the French are sending across the Channel.

The problem is they kill our native Ladybirds.

It's bad enough in my garden, but today when Leo and myself went to the Cemetery in Folkestone, all hell broke lose!

He was in panic, there must have been 50 or more who just landed on him as soon as we got out the car. After I'd knocked them off him, I had to sort myself out, although not so bad as he was wearing a white top!

They also have a pretty unhealthy bite as well.

Those darned French also send their bees over occasionally as well. Don't they cause us enough problems with blockading Calais every five minutes !!

Stay clear of Kent !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
stace
Legendary Laner

Re: Under Attack - it's the Ladybirds !

Post by stace »

Not Had many up here yet Richard, although i have seen some Black ones?

I dont like any creepy crawleis yike* The spiders here have been out in force very big and wearing Hob Nail Boots, i would never hurt them but i cringe as i walk to the shed at 7am cobwebs seem to go everywhere, i shell keep a look out for the ladybirds )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Sara

Post by Sara »

Its not me sending them your way Richard, I promise.... :oops: :shock: :oops:
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Richard

Post by Richard »

As if sara.

I first spotted them over the Lane about a week ago when painting a window. They tend to like windows and going behind curtains.

I've just been over to the big house and they're flying around the garden, hundreds of them!

Shame, you always associate them to books you used to read as a child.

See here......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/6441017/Harlequin-ladybirds-spreading-through-British-homes.html
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had noticed a few ladybirds - didn't realise they were french.

Can't complain really as they did give us brie. )eat(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Richard don't you remember back in the 70s the ladybirds that attacked people at the seaside in Bournemouth and other places? They are only attacking because there are so many of them after feeding on the glut of aphid this spring. Those were english ladybirds.
We get them hibernating in the folds of our bedroom curtains every year and if they wake up early they often take a bite out of hubby as he is that side of the room. )j;
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Eeeew, I remember that. I parked my car and when I got out of it I crunched on thousands of them in the gutters. Yhuk yhuk yhuk. sile}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

I recall that, but at that time I was in Sevenoaks and / or Tunbridge Wells, so didn't get it.

It's a bit like fleas, you get them into your head and just go to bed and scratch for no reason at all !
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

p.penn wrote:I had noticed a few ladybirds - didn't realise they were french.

Can't complain really as they did give us brie. )eat(

You would have to milk an aweful lot of ladybirds to get a decent amount of brie. Cows are a much less labour intensive animal to get milk from {rofwl}

:oops: sorry I havent eaten yet and am feeling a bit giddy
manda

Post by manda »

{rofwl} {rofwl} (can you imagine milking em!!)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny