Bumblebees

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Bumblebees

Post by ma larkin »

I think we have a Bumblebee nest in our lawn! They keep dissapearing into the grass, near a hole that we saw Bumblebees going in out of last year.
I have seen loads of Bumblebees recently, and they seem huge.

Has anyone else seen many?

Ma Larkin :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Bumblebees

Post by Richard »

Just one rather sleepy big one strolling accross the kitchen floor, so I carefully got him onto some paper and put him outside.

Our Ginger cat is somewhat stupid and enjoys sniffing Bees, often resulting in a fat lip!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Thank you!

Cat's are silly sometimes! This is Spotty after he got stung once feeling very sorry for himself!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

We must have nests around here as we too have lots of bumble bees .. coincidently I had a delivery of dwarf buddliea bushes this morning which I ordered especially for them to have a nice place to feed... I'm hoping they will stay out of my greenhouse then - as I'm forever trying to get them out... I love them, but not buzzing around my head when I can't escape..... )sh
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Today I saw an unusual gathering. Hundreds of tiny black "solitary bees". They were buzzing around on a lawn about two inches off the ground. They were mating and hunting for nesting holes in the grass. Absolutely fantastic.

Oh and yes my cats have had to be taken to the vets for antihistamine after eating wasps or bees.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
manda

Post by manda »

ma larkin wrote:I think we have a Bumblebee nest in our lawn!..............
I have seen loads of Bumblebees recently, and they seem huge!
Ma Larkin :-D

Ma why so surprised...you do come from Leighton BUZZard {rofwl} ...sorry it was too hard to resist )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
ock

Post by ock »

we had a bumble bee nest in our lawn last year, then one night a badger dug it all up }hairout{ , he left a hugh hole about 18" across and about that deep right in the middle of our lawn {mr.angry}
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Lots of them on our plots, don't think any have taken up residence in my bumble bee nest box, although I did see one taking a look!
My special flowers for them are still in seed trays! >mmm<
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

Lots of bumblebees about this spring-more than usual and everyone I ask has seen more of them. I garden (or at least try to garden) with them in mind so always have a few about but its been wonderful this year.
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Mallard wrote:Lots of them on our plots, don't think any have taken up residence in my bumble bee nest box, although I did see one taking a look!
My special flowers for them are still in seed trays! >mmm<

Ha ha.
I have a nest box that has never been used. But I do have a nest under a paving slab, below our biggest conifer.
I think they are so lovely.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

We normally see the odd Bumblebee but this year there are loads of them about, not just one type either, we have yellow bottomed ones and dark orange/red bottomed ones too )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein