Exhausted racing pigeon

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Mad Chick

Re: Exhausted racing pigeon

Post by Mad Chick »

Is there anything on his legs that will identify him? I'm not sure if they have identification tags in case they get lost...

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Reporting a stray pigeon - this link might help :-D
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

From what I can gather, you're supposed to report it straight away. I would imagine if it's been with you since this morning, if it hasn't flown off yet, it's not going to. Have you checked his wings to see if the owners name and number have been ink stamped on? If you can contact the owner direct they may say to keep it overnight and see if he flies off in the morning...

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mmm
Lively Laner

Post by mmm »

when I was younger my dad used to race pigeons. He used to put an ink stamp on the wing feathers with name, address & telephone numbers on. Not sure if its still used now but maybe worth a look see
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I really do not want to put a downer on this I promise, but, when I was young I found one and did as you are now. I knew a pigeon man who gave me some feed for it and the relevant tel. numbers to contact their societyand trace the owner etc.
Anyhoo, the owner drove over a few days later and collected the bird. The owner who gave me the feed, quite blatantly, said the man who collected would have dispatched the bird. {cry}
The explanation is that it will be this years bird (fairly young) and on a race. To a racing pigeon fancier, they breed for speed etc, and LOTS of money involved, that if it does get back to the loft all well and good - may even breed with it. But if very late- not bred or worse not back at all - presumed lost or killed. yike*
I hope if you return it that things have changed. Perhaps asking the person for a personal guarantee ............. dunno >fi<
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

how horrible {mr.angry}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had one on my windowsill for a whole 24 hours or so many years ago - then it just flew off. confused>

After all the excitement of talking to the rspca and everything,it was rather an anti climax.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wendy

Post by wendy »

About 25 years ago I had a tumbler pigeon in the garden. He had hurt his leg and couldn't take off. But had no leg ring. Anyway we kept him for a week and he was well enough to go home and off he went. Very pretty bird, with lots of feathers on his legs.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was lucky - mine rested on an upstairs bedroom windowsill so, although I had a dog and cat at the time, it was lefy undisturbed.

Having said that, I always remember drawing the curtaiins back one morning and seeing my cat, clutching the windowsill with his 2 front paws and dangling......then he dropped down onto the concrete below. I couldn't look and was sure he was dead. But he was fine.

He only had one eye so had now depth perception.

And no tail.

{rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com