Feeding Wilds brids

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Henless
Lively Laner

Feeding Wilds brids

Post by Henless »

I have three feeders in my garden, 1 has peanut's in, 1 seeds and 1 fat balls.

Is it wrong to feed fat balls this time of year? Also, I am having to fill them up every day its costing me a small furtune, is this normal ?

And the amount of bird I get is mental, I love it but I am worried that people around me might not like the amount of poo it will leave on their washing haha :-D
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Re: Feeding Wilds brids

Post by 4pigs »

Hello

I'm no expert but i think fat balls are needed more in the Winter. So you could cut down there.

Like you I feed seed and peanuts at the moment - in feeders. I also put a bowl of fresh water out each morning which they seem to like to have a wash in. They love it.

However - as much as i say you could cut down on the fat balls - i have been buying sultanas for the Blackbirds! :oops: They are Tesc* value ones!

Dont know about you but my problem is the rooks - they know that if they hang onto the feeders and swing about, stabbing at them with their beaks, then the seed falls out - then they have a meal on the floor }hairout{ . Perhaps they are visiting you too?

As for neighbours washing - dont worry i'm sure it's only now and then that there's a "direct hit".

Glad to hear you're feeding the birds though. Some say only feed them in the winter, but if you dont put food out everyday for them they wont keep coming back , so they wont know where they can go for provisions in the winter. I would just rather make sure they are ok even though sometimes i could do without spending the money.

Anyway ... has anybody tried the Noodle diet? Great way to shed pounds and keep your animals (and garden birds) in great shape!

Jo x