Help please, injured young Pigeon

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Help please, injured young Pigeon

Post by redd_angel55 »

We found an injured young wood pigeon in the middle of a busy road this morning. We pulled over, trying not to get run over rescueing the bird. It's a young fledgling wood pigeon, no obvious injuries or broken wings. It didn't object to being picked up which is not a good sign. I can imagine it has some sort of head trauma.
We took it home and put it in the dog crate beside the house in the shade with a blanket over the crate. It perches ok, as it constricted the blood in my fingers hanging on while we took it home.
Is there anything else I could do appart from keeping it dark and quiet, like fluids ect?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Help please, injured young Pigeon

Post by Grannyof4 »

Food and fluids.
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

Dont give it anything to eat, but leave some very shallow water. You are doing the right thing-keep it cool and covered to get over the shock. It may die anyway but I always think at least the poor creature died with me in peace, quiet and security. Take a look regularly but quietly, and see how its doing-if there is blood in the beak its not usually a good sign. In the morning if you can take it to a vets that would be best.
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you both! There is no blood in it's beak, I looked before I put in the crate. I've put water in, but it hasn't moved or drank, but 2 poo's LOL
Shall I syringe some water in it's beak if it's not drinking on it's own?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

If it has no obvious injuries ....I would put it somewhere sheltered,safe from cats and quite........but not enclosed...... so that it can attempt to fly off if it wants...
More wild birds die from the stress of being suddenly caged than from their actual injuries... {cry}
I had a chaffinch, a little while ago, that flew into my kitchen window, I put him in a box under the veranda and as soon as he recovered he hopped onto my shoulder and flew off.... )t'

If he's had a poo he will probably be ok..!!!..Don't stress him more by attempting to give him fluids..see if he flies off first..
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Here's a link to my chaffinch rescue...i thought he was a gonner when he hit my window... )t'

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16406"
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you Jannie for the advise and link! I'll leave it alone and see how it is later! It's still quite subdued. Just sits still on it's low perch and closes it's eyes a lot. I can keep an eye on it without it seeing me, which is good. Fingers crossed it will make it. Poor thing, only very young.
There are so many ignorant people around. Lots of cars zoomed past, not even slowing down! }hairout{

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

You're right about the ignorant people bit .. )gr:
Hope little pigeon recovers, bless you for giving him the chance... {hug} .
he must have been terrified on that road...
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sounds like the pigeon has had a little run in with a car, perhaps caught it a glancing blow and dazed it. As it was in the middle of the road you did the right thing by rescuing it, otherwise it could have got flattened.

If anyone does come across a fledgling on the ground, perhaps fallen out of its nest the best thing to do, however, is leave it well alone.

How is the pigeon doing? I would certainly think if all OK with it tomorrow to perhaps see if you can release it close to where you found it. If it has a head trauma a vet may suggest best thing for it is to put to sleep.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

The pigeon is a little brighter now, had some mixed corn, soaked pellets and water. It looked ready to be released, but nothing happend when I opened the cage. I tried to coax it out, but it jumped on my hand and just sat there looking around, being quite content. Not normal for a wild bird!
I put it back in the crate and it's now in our utility room for the night. If there is no improvement by the morning, I'll take it to Tiggywinkles wildlife hospital.
Must be daft-bird-day today :? My children found a young sparrow caught up in the veggy net this evening too! Thankfully it was ok and flew off.