Got a hedgepig living with me!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Steve the Gas

Got a hedgepig living with me!

Post by Steve the Gas »

Its residing under a bale of hay that I must have had 18months. I believe its a female - due to its size etc. Its definately not this years baby.
So I'll call her she, she comes out normally at about 7pm, but I've just seen her about 15 mins ago. So she's off hunting, I've already given dog food to her over the last 5 days or so,that she has been here.The hay is under my carport,which I wanted to clean out soon but that plan has failed.
Anyhoo I took a few pics which I will put on here when my youngest son shows me how to. That's 'cos I'm not offait with instruction manuals as such.He may be a while.... +confused+
LittleBrownFrog

Re: Got a hedgepig living with me!

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I haven't seen our hodgepigs yet this year - have heard them crashing about in the undergrowth though.
wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry} Haven't seen one for years. Not even dead on the road and we used to see a lot of that.
I wonder if it is because there are more foxes around. Do they eat them ?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I overwinter hedgehogs for our local hedgehog rescue.

Wendy, foxes should pose no problem for a healthy hedgehog. The only wild animal that could be a threat is a badger and that is only rarely.

Hedgehogs are in decline, they are a very primative animal and don't adapt very well to modern living like roads.

Steve, it is lovely that you have a resident hedge piggie.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I'm sure I was told before that you shouldn't see a piggie in the day, if you do regularly- then it has a problem.
I now think that is not always totally true, in fact, just wondering if she is nesting and we may get piglets- time will tell.
I've done as much looking at her as poss and can't see anything the matter with her.
>fi< for piglets.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

We get hedgehogs in our street, at the bottom is the horses field and I've often been walking over the field late at night and seen them. Just the other evening one was crossing the street outside of my house.

One of our vets at work currently has Sonic, a little boy hoglet who is being hand-reared, after a member of the public found him and brought him in. Shame, as we think his mum was run over by a car.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Steve the Gas wrote:I'm sure I was told before that you shouldn't see a piggie in the day, if you do regularly- then it has a problem.

Yes Steve ....it is true that if you see a hedgehog in the day it's in trouble and needs treatment.....

The most common cause of hedgehogs wandering in the day is lungworm and without treatment it will die..

This is a link to a charity I support, it's got lots of info about hedgehogs. )t'

http://www.gowerbirdhospital.org.uk/Mammals.asp"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

How lovely Steve, I've not seen one in years. {cry}

Hope your piggie isn't ill though. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Jannie, I agree, but as she only comes out at about 7pm I have concluded she needs longer to hunt 'cos of :-

No rain = less slugs/snails/worms.
Nesting = piglets in nest, therefore needs more food for milk production.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this )t'
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Heard somewhere a couple of days ago (TV?) to leave shallow containers with water out for hedgehogs because it's so hot and dry.
Hope your little guest is ok!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

She's ok for water and I've seen her drinking - she uses the hens'. I'll put some pics on when my son decides to come home.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Make sure any containers of water are very shallow - hedgehogs can drown very easily - we had two drown in a wheelbarrow with some standing water in a few years ago.
Baby hedgehogs would be very exciting!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I'd love to have one in my garden. Did consider rehoming one from a rescue centre, but they wanted a "donation" of £80 (!), supposedly to cover the cost of feeding it til it was big enough to release, and then there was no guarantee it wouldn't go wandering off and choose to live elsewhere!
We had one in the garden when I was a kid, only saw it at dusk. They are very appealing. Lucky you! >fi<
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a frying pan on my back lawn with water in it. Two hedgehogs come every night at about 10pm to drink from it. I put cat food out for them and watch them from an upstairs window with my binoculars, they are fascinating. :-D
Ilona
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I was right )c(

She has at least 2 babies and they are at least half grown. I just took a pic but don't know how good it will be. I watched her 'come home' at 6am. Just went to look foor eggs and saw the pig sorta chillin outside the hole entrance she's made.............. then 2 babies came out to bother her. )grin2(

Good job I didn't call RSPCA or rescuers - 'cos I would have inadvertantly made them orphans ............killed them - depending on age. )reap(