Bird ID

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Willow
Legendary Laner

Bird ID

Post by Willow »

One of our cats brought in a dead bird yesterday... I'm at a loss as to what is was..
It was a fledgling, filled my hand, all black except for a white stripe down the chest and throat.. and feathers on its legs.. It had a slightly longer top beak, not hooked. and good sized padded feet similar to a chicken. Tail feathers were shortish..

any ideas?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Bird ID

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could it be a water hen?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I dont think the legs were long enough, and the feet werent quite that big.... I'll look it up though,, It was quite a chunky bird, I've never seen anything like it... a bit worried that it was a chicken chick except for the colours..
I love my cats but hate it when they kill.. I know its natural for them but horrible all the same..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Could be a Lapwing/peewit or one of the plover family )t'
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Just looked up peewit etc.. but the beaks are too narrow and they dont have feathered legs... also the legs weren't that long...

Albert Einstein
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Pheasant/grouse/partridge then.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The number of small mammals and bird killed each year by pet cats is counted in the hundreds of millions.
If you have a look at the RSPB website there is quite a good bird identifier with various avenues of search to follow.
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

Had a google - Ringed Ouzel ??
here
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny