Swallows

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Swallows

Post by Grannyof4 »

I get lots and lots round me. I have 2-3 nests each year in my garages and at least 2 in my outside loo. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that they and all their mates had gone. However, at the moment there are 7 obviously late hatched flying around and sitting on the wires. I wonder if they will make it to their winter home as this is so late for them to be leaving.
Steve the Gas

Re: Swallows

Post by Steve the Gas »

Nope - the younguns can be as late as mid to late Oct.
But more probs if the weather stays bad for insect prey.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

It is late for them leaving this area. The weather was awful yesterday so they wouldn't have been feeding. Good today though. Can't wait for them to return in spring, but does mean I can't use my outside loo...I don't need to paint the picture!!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

{rofwl} sile}
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Weird, thing for about four or five years the date that they left our area was September 9th. It all becomes noticeable when they are flying around as a group, of probably 90 birds, one morning all there, next gone.

I love to see them exercising for their long haul flight. They are lovely, mind you I keep saying swallows, they could be house-martins (sp?) I am thinking about

Obviously when I've mentioned this to folk they've just said its a coincidence, well of course it is, I'm sure swallows don't have a calendar and think, let's go to south africa for our hols starting 9th September! {rofwl}

We've had some chicks which I thought were a bit late this year, all gone now.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I think one of the most amazing facts about the Swallow family of birds, is the Swift.
From leaving the nest - the young birds will NOT touch terra firma for 3 years...... )b( )b(