HELP !! BABY WOODPIDGEON.....

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
katie011831
Lively Laner

HELP !! BABY WOODPIDGEON.....

Post by katie011831 »

Hi all, my girls have found a baby woodpidgeon at the park injured and decided it was a good idea to bring it hime...we have put it in a cat basket with straw a litle dish of water and some mixed corn...waiting on the local wildlife resue centre to answer their phine to come get it, has anyone else got any other info to help me whilst i have it +confused+ !! i think the grain its got is far to hard and heavy as it is still young !!
mum of three beautiful children two girls one boy, partner Adrian whom I adore, two step daughters, Archie the Bassett hound, scatz the cat, custard the hamster and my three girls...Elbie, Molly and Domino!!!
perchy

Re: HELP !! BABY WOODPIDGEON.....

Post by perchy »

Oh dear, I hope they come to pick it up soon, in the meantime could you crush the corn etc so its smaller? just a thought or do you have any wild bird seed? )t'
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi - I have had to deal with a Jackdaw and a pigeon. The Jackdaw had been shot and the pigeon was just very ill. The Jackdaw survived, I checked up at the wildlife centre it went to, but unfortunately the pigeon had to be pts by the collection officer at our house.

I rang the R.S.P.C.A. and they said to leave in a box, cat box in my case, and cover with an old towel with just water, somewhere quiet.

I do hope the little one survives and they are not too long coming back to you.
katie011831
Lively Laner

Post by katie011831 »

its seems livly enough this morning moveing around the box, tipping over the litle dish of water and getting a bit wet!! thought about some weetabix with some warm water???
mum of three beautiful children two girls one boy, partner Adrian whom I adore, two step daughters, Archie the Bassett hound, scatz the cat, custard the hamster and my three girls...Elbie, Molly and Domino!!!
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Glad to hear it is holding on.

My grandad used to crush up digestive biscuits and hard boiled egg yolk into a mash to give to his young racing pigeons as a boost.

I don't know if that would suit a wild bird though?

Let's hope the rescue come back you you soon.

Shlugh xx
[center]We now have a cream egg skelter, blessings on Pippi, Penny and Poppy who fill it for us.[/center]
wendy

Post by wendy »

i bought up 3 blackbirds, years ago, on Whiskas chicken cat food, but placed in their mouths. If it is lively, hopefully the water will be OK until they pick it up.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

At this time of year I am taking it that it is a fully feathered youngster??

You could definitely try some paste type (not chunks in gravy, I mean), type of cat food for it, weetabix and water wouldn't hurt it if you think the grain you are giving it is too much.

I agree, a cat box with a towel over is a good idea, stress is a great killer of birds, as little as human contact as possible is required.

Hope he/she makes it.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
katie011831
Lively Laner

Post by katie011831 »

Horay!! finally got through to rescue center, just taken her/him around he said it looks slightly underweight probly been pushed out of nest and didnt know what to do hense the head dive in to the brambles (where my girls found her/him)...so looks like it will be fine and released in a week or so when gained a little weight!!! :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Good news )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Too late now, but isn't the advise usually to leave them where they are. the parents may be looking after them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
katie011831
Lively Laner

Post by katie011831 »

yes your right, thats what we told the girls {warn} !!! But you try telling three girls of 9 11 and 13 to leave a baby animal that looks injured alone!!!...lol
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

We get a lot of baby birds brought into our surgery during the spring/summer months, but this seems a bit late in the year for a really young woodpigeon??

Although we always tell people to leave the really young birds well alone, I think given the time of year Katie you've done the right thing )t'

If you had left it chances are it would have succumbed to the weather.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thats really good news Katie. Has it given you a lovely warm snuggly feeling? I know it did me when the Jackdaw survived.

Well done you and your three girls.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Woodies breed all year round when conditions allow. Chicks should be fed on meat - maggots crickets etc then weaned onto seed,peas.
With a woody I wouldn't have been surprised if they had dispatched it.......

Btw I have reared a 'feral' one before.