snails & thrushes

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

snails & thrushes

Post by kitla »

Listening to the dawn chorus this morning, I was thinking how sad it is that I
rarely hear a thrush now. There were loads when we moved here, our last one
that sung from the same treetop for a few years was beheaded by a cat )gr:
last year. We don't use pesticides, our garden is fairly "wild", we have lots
of pots & rocks, back on to a nettle patch in a huge field, next doors garden is
completely wild, yet snails have massively declined in our garden, which I suppose is why the thrushes have. Why?? any environment experts out there?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Steve the Gas

Re: snails & thrushes

Post by Steve the Gas »

If your chooks FR - that will explain a drop in snail numbers. If not something must have changed......... dried out too much, flooding etc
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

You can have some of mine...no decline here.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This has happened before we got the chooks & we dont flood here, must be something else.
Thrushes are on the red list, I wonder if snails are in decline too, & if there's
any connection?
(Maybe they've all moved to your house grannyof4)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have loads of snails and slugs, YUK. No thrushes though, but plenty of other birds about.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

There has been a decline in the different species that visit our garden too, although the food is put out just the same and a variety too to suit the different birds. I did the RSPB survey a couple of years ago and even from then I can see a decline and even fewer numbers of our regulars such as chaffinch,blue tits,blackbirds . Though the hens seem to hate the bigger birds such as wood pigeon and jackdaw and won't let them in the garden at any cost !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

We had thrushes when we moved here 20 yrs ago, then none for ages . We had a nesting couple last summer )t' . The snail levels have always been high here.
Last year the severe winter did knock back the snail population a little. And after this winters hard freeze it might also keep the numbers down a little. But nothing will keep them down for long }hairout{
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

maybe its nothing to do with snails then, in which case I should be thankful that
we dont have so many now!
--Immanuel Kant