Cats Protection and RSPCA

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Cats Protection and RSPCA

Post by Knikitta »

Both of these well known companies have let us down badly.

We rescued two kittens when they were very young, at least 8weeks old. When I got them they were flea ridden, scrawny and looked terrible. 6 months later and they are now healthy happy cats.

They are indoor only and now it is time to rehome them. I have done my best to get them to full health (which hopefully they are) but we must find them a new place to live. My partner is allergic to cats so he has been amazing by letting my care for them for this long, also we are moving soon and our new home is NO PETS and the Landlord seems very strict on this rule.

I contacted Cats Protection who said I could bring them through the following night. My little boy (4yrs old) said his Goodbyes to them both before school and I got everything ready. An old blanket that they love in the cat carrier, scrubbed all their bowls and litter tray and then rang to see exactly where I was going.

Shockingly, the lady said: "Sorry, we are full now, some one brought a dog in last night." What the.... I was absolutely furious! I know that these people are very hard working and they are nearly always full to capacity, but you can not tell some one to bring their pets in then change their mind like that... why not turn the dog away if your full?!?

So my son came home, completely confused because the cats are still here and Mummy was made out to be the bad person for telling him 'lies'.

I tried every RSPCA number I could find, and a lady I spoke said she was on her way out but she can take them and she would ring me later. Well, later was 9pm and still no phone call, so I rang her, only to be told that she was too busy and to ring in a couple of days to see if she had any room!

{mr.angry}

All I want to do is find my cats a new home. It infuriates me that people sell cats for £100's and seem quite able to rehome these unwanted cats. I am trying to do what I think is right and find them a loving family to live with and can't.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
wendy

Re: Cats Protection and RSPCA

Post by wendy »

How awful, although I am afraid it is the R s & PC A all the time. I am shocked at the cats protection.
This is the trouble, there are so many unwanted animals, cats and dogs. They are stuffed to the gunnels. Simply because people think it 'cute' to have these kittens/puppies and then leave the rescue's [or others like yourself] to pick up the pieces. I do wish you success and such a shame that your little one, had to find out about this heartless world so young.
I posted a poster on fb the other days from a rescue I support, of three tennis balls.
It said these are the only balls your dog needs, you can read cat there as well.
How absolutely true. If you haven't got homes....don't breed !
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I have written on this before. I have no faith in the Cat Protection. My 2 rescue cats who we'd had for 16 years died and I went to CP to rescue 2 more. I was refused because I lived to near the railway line which was over 150 yards away. The majority of houses in the road had a cat and not one was killed on the railway line. In the 23 years we were there one person had had their cat run over. So we ended up answering and advert in the PDSA. We got 2 lovely cats and had them 9 years till we moved to Ireland with farmland and the nearest main road a quarter of a mile away. What happened one got run over by a tractor.
Its not the first time I've heard about CP denying people. OK I understand they have to be careful but they do go over the top and its as if they feel they are so superior they are above everybody else. Perhaps if they did ease up a bit they wouldn't be so choc a block.
Another question is when RSPCA do these raids on peoples houses and take away dozens of animals as they are mis-treated Who has them?
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Does your local vet have a message board where you could advertise the cats?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Knikitta. It's annoying that they tell you one thing then change their minds. I can understand that the person was too busy to ring you back immediately, these things take time, often having to wait for a space to come free. They are swamped with phone calls.

My friend fostered cats for CP but was unhappy with how they go about things, so now we have our own cat rescue in our village. We are three friends who work together along the same lines as CP, we do home checks and no cat is released untill we are 100% happy with the people and location. We have a page on the catchat web site, have you seen the site? I would suggest you contact smaller rescues, you can find contact details on this site.
www.catchat.org (not a commercial site)
We are not far from you but we are full, there is a very good rescue at Lincoln
Best of luck, don't give up. I have a beautiful young female cat here awaiting a new home. We took her in with four kittens, they have been rehomed now need a home for mum.
Ilona
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

The local vets charge to put notices up as we did try them.

I have been on that Catchat site as well and everyone I tried said they were full... I am going spare trying to work out what to do as they really need to be gone asap so that we can wash all the carpets and get the house ready for the inspection before we move.

We need to do the carpets more than once and leave all the windows and back door open, which we obviously can not do with the cats here.

It's so infuriating that I always try to do the right thing, and there is always some sort of obstacle or brick wall in front of me.
{cry}

I don't even mind travelling, I just wish I could find them some where nice to live.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Oh dear what a horrible expeirence to receive from two well known organisations.
Hopefully these responces havent put you off , And Im sure not all would have had that attitude with you. As others have said too many people get animals without thinking clearly , I admit I did so when I was 19 ..Rushed out for a lovely puppy only to be stressed and frustrated by the poor thing and I couldnt wait to palm her off to someone else...Poor dog..Shame I me I know I still beat myself up about it now. Since then I have done my absolute best to advise anyone to think things through clearly when getting pets etc unfortunately cant succeed all but if I can make a difference only a small one it helps!
That said back to the issue. I used to volunteer for a very busy organisation we was extremely busy and nearly always full to the brim! Sometimes though the attitudes of some staff/volunteers isnt always helpful to the recipient and it must have been very frustrating to you {hug} Hope this issue gets resolved with all receiving the best of luck.
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi, I notice you are in Lincoln. There is a lady called Cath who lives in Grantham, Lincolnshire who takes in cats. The name is ROCK - Rescue of Cats and Kittens, she was at one time I believe wth the CPL, but they parted company, dont know why, but if you google perhaps she could help. Also I dont think the vets down this way charge for notices on their board, so perhaps you could try ringing them too.

Good luck.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have just googled it and her name is Cath she is at 41 Redcross Street, Grantham, Lincs NG31 - Tel 01476 571636, hope thats a help.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Hmm... there is no answer, I will try again later thank you very very much! {hug}
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

{hug} {hug} I can not thank you enough!! {hug} {hug}

Apart from getting told off for not having them neutured, she is more than happy to take them and find them a new home!

They are off to their new place on Saturday afternoon... though she did seem rather angry that I hadn't had them 'done' :(

It was just something I was in no rush to do because they are indoor cats and I never though I would have to rehome them!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to be of service and very pleased that you and your cats have had a good outcome. I have met her a few times in the vets when taking my animals and she is a 'no nonsense' type of person, she has devoted a HUGE proportion of her life to looking after cats and always pushes very, very hard that they should be neutered LOL.

She is a cat really though and has a heart of gold regarding moggies.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh sugar that last sentence should read: She is a cat cat really. :oops: {rofwl}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I will try once more. She is a p*ssy cat really. I cant believe it wouldnt print that, what a dirty mind these computers have. {rofwl} {rofwl}
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think *any* person or organisation dealing with unwanted animals will be very firm on the matter of neutering - with very good reason. We have two male cats & both were 'done' as soon as they were old enough, because I have no wish to be responsible for increasing the numbers of unwanted cats.

Very glad you've found someone to take them on & that they'll be going to a good home )t'