Blue Tits in the Chimney !!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Blue Tits in the Chimney !!

Post by Tink »

We heard a noise in the upper chimney of our logburner the other day. As we have scaffolding up at present we thought it may be the wind whistling. Later hubby heard a tapping behind the glass only to see a very dusty Bluetit in the grate. yike* She flew out the front dooor immediatley. The noise continued and he climbed up the scaffolding with a stick to try to discourage anthing else to move out. Well it sort of worked as I was greeted with a cleaner blue tit the next morning. I had removed all dust out of the grate as a precaution. She too looked very lively and flew off into the trees. I can only assume maybe the first was a youngster and mum came to help? The chimney has a cowl and only tiny holes in the grate to get through. They must have seen the light at the bottom.
Thank goodness all quiet now.
Tink
Steve the Gas

Re: Blue Tits in the Chimney !!

Post by Steve the Gas »

Good move- so was it a youngster? There will be more or do you think it was the last one or a parent?
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

All quiet now Steve thanks. Really unsure how it came to be or if theres a nest. I have loads of nesting boxes around. I will keep checking the cowl and when its time to light the first fire in the autum I thought I would just light some paper to smoke the chimney first.
Tink
perchy

Post by perchy »

How lovely, they do get everywhere, they really are tiny {hug}