I couldn't just leave it to the jaws of a Raven!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
LisaB

I couldn't just leave it to the jaws of a Raven!

Post by LisaB »

I took the dogs for a walk over the nature park with my mum this morning,
as soon as I got out the car I noticed a little hedgehog in the short grass in daylight, we had a towel in the back of the car so I picked it up in that and put it in some long grass under a bush, by a wooden post so I knew where it was.
I was hoping it would have gone by the time I got back, I don't like taking animals from the wild.
So once we'd let the dogs run round the park for over an hour we headed back, no sigh of hedgehog, until I stepped a bit to the right and a Raven dive bombed me! I looked around, hedgehog back out in the short grass being harassed by a Raven =( I couldn't bare to see this cute little spike ball be eaten alive so I had to take it home, I'm sorry for those of you who think it was the wrong thing to do {cry}

Anyway, it's in the shed at the moment in a big rabbit cage we have, it's got towels, some dog food and water. Its fairly warm out in the garden but the shed is cool so should I had a hot water bottle to one side of the cage or not?
And we're off to the pet shop soon to see if we can get some straw and purple spray as one of the chook's underneath looks a little sore, is there anything I should get for the hedgehog? Dog meat or anything?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: I couldn't just leave it to the jaws of a Raven!

Post by Mo »

Maybe give it the run of the garden, to come and go as it pleases.
Some people say they eat cat food, and that 'bread and milk' upsets their tums.
I wouldn't keep it caged.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I feel it may be illegal to cage them, hopefully some one will set you right about that. There is special hedgehog food you can give them. But I think they can eat tinned dog food.
I understand your concerns.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Well reading up I've found people saying to keep it in a cage or box, and the rabbit cage we have is big, I was just using it for protection really, if it starts getting a little more lively I'll put it outside.
I read up a hedgehog outside in daylight is trying to keep itself warm so I'm getting it a hot water bottle now,
I've had a quick look for maggots and can't see any, but it curls up really quick and I don't want to hurt it D;
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Let him set up home in your garden he will repay you by eating your slugs etc , some dog food will go down well.Remember they are nocturnal so dont expect him / her to be too active during the day.Make or by him a little wooden home and it will be a very happy little Hog.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/pr ... hog-house/

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thats what we're planning on doing =)
We're going to B&Q soon too, so I'ma pick up some things to make a hedgehog hut under all the fur trees and bushes we have at the top of the garden, that's where we put all the slugs and snails, if they're not given to the chooks )eat(
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

If you find a hedgehog out in the daylight it is because it is sick .. probably with lungworm ..you need to get it to a vet or rescue centre ASAP as they will only survive if treated early enough !!
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

LisaB wrote:Thats what we're planning on doing =)
We're going to B&Q soon too, so I'ma pick up some things to make a hedgehog hut under all the fur trees and bushes we have at the top of the garden, that's where we put all the slugs and snails, if they're not given to the chooks )eat(

Sounds like Hedge hog heaven to me.

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I don't know where the closest place would be to take a hedgehog, I've tried searching but can't find anywhere
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Does anyone know if a hedgehog home has to be wooden of if an upturned plant pot would be okay?
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Is there anywhere on this list that is close to you..
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/carers.htm"
if not give the nearest a ring I'm sure they will arrange collection if at all possible ... my nearest is a good 35 miles away but he has arranged to meet me half way when I've needed him. )t'
ock

Post by ock »

I agree with Jannie, it`s prob sick, if you put a hedgehog on the floor and leave it alone a couple of minutes it`ll run off, if it was well the raven wouldn`t of been attacking it, I would phone the RSPCA or someone to treat it, I wouldn`t go spending money on stuff to make it a home as the chances are it`ll die, I hope it doesn`t though {hug} , good luck )t'
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

My mum's talked about making a hedgehog home in the garden for a while, so we're still going to make one, and I don't mind buying it some food etc.
I wrapped the hog up in a towel and put it on a wrapped up hot water bottle half an hour ago as I read hogs out in the day light are generally out because they are sick and trying to warm themselves up in sunlight, its wandered round and was at the food bowl but I'm not sure if it had eaten anything or was just sniffing it, it looks better already can't see any maggots or eggs, seems to be walking okay and has now gone back to its heated corner, wondering if it was just lost/starving?

Thanks for the link, Jannie, I will be ringing one of the two close to me if he goes downhill, but I really need to pop out now and will check him when I get back.

Thanks very much guys {hug&kiss}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Just hope it's not lungworm as ..other than being out in daylight .. there are no other symptoms untill it's too late .. once they start wheezing they are past being fit enough to treat and die very quickly .. {cry}
ock

Post by ock »

so what`s the news on the little hedgehog ?
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]