Hedgehog in the daytime.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Hedgehog in the daytime.

Post by sazchops »

I have just seen a young hedgehog in my garden and it is 10am. Is this a bad sign? It wasn't very big and I've heard they have to be a certain weight to hibernate, it wasn't interested in the dried meal worms I offered and I could see a tick on it. {cry}
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Hedgehog in the daytime.

Post by rhubarb93 »

Sounds like it is in trouble. Do you have a local wildlife centre you could take it to? I believe you can feed them up with cat food.
I'd love a hedgepig in my garden - had them when I was a kid but you rarely seem to see them now {cry}
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

It sounds as if he is trouble to me too. He needs to weigh at least 600g in order to hibernate and if you see a hedgehog during the day, it is generally a bad sign. If you google 'hedgehog rescue' you should find the number of your local rescue centre and they will tell you where you can take him.

The plight of the hedgehog is becoming dire and they are in danger of extinction. I was a hedgehog fosterer for a few years.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
wendy

Post by wendy »

another who thinks he has a problem.
Best get onto a wildlife place, as said )t'
Sadly we never see tham here either {cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I forgot to say that if you do try to feed him cat food is the best thing but they also like cheese and dried fruit. For some reason crunchy nut cornflakes are a big favourite if they are off their food.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Best thing would be to catch him and take him to a hedgehog carer or wildlife center imo. I found one a few months ago and fed it cat food, the next day took it to someone who cared for hedgehogs (we couldn't get hold of anyone the first day). They said if it survived they would call back and we could let it free in our garden, but they never called so I'm assuming the outcome wasn't good :?
Good luck
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I looked for it again about 10 minutes later but couldn't see it. Unfortunetly because I have made my garden dog proof ( they come in from field behind ) I'm not sure the hedgehog can get out. If I see it in morning I will take it to the local animal care. I'm sure I met some one who rescues hedgehogs but can't for the life of me think who, I'll ask on facebook. :?
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury