splendid sight for a cold evening.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
saint-spoon

splendid sight for a cold evening.

Post by saint-spoon »

Stood with my bicycle awaiting the ferry across from Portsmouth and the starlings were doing their thing before swooping down to roost under Portsmouth harbour train station. The weather had thrown up a near perfect sky by which to watch them dance over the harbour, simply fantastic. To me the natural world never ceases to throw up something wonderful to brighten even the coldest (and windiest) gloomy winter evenings. Roll on the spring and the wonder that it will provide.
Bah Humbug
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Re: splendid sight for a cold evening.

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Well said )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Starlings are funny birds, I have always said I don't much like them but I think thats because they are so greedy when you throw out breakfast and I always feel they never give anybody else a chance but when you actually stop and look at their feathers they are quite smart birds with their flecks and irridescent plumes. Never have seen it myself apart from on the tv but the dusk flight before they settle down must be an amazing sight. It won't be long now, especially for those in the South, before snowdrops push through followed by all the other bright Springtime plants and the tender green unfurling shoots on bushes and trees.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Yesterday I watched them over the harbour from the comfort of the Ship Anson public house, pint in hand ( I was out with a very old friend with whom I find myself serving once again) . even better sky against which to watch them.
I agree with you Annie about the greediness, they can empty my feeders in minutes; but I feel that as they are very much in decline that I am lucky to have them visit my garden. Same with sparrows. They were nesting in my gutter for five or six years, we could hear the chicks begging for food first thing in the morning, just fantastic.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's not just the sight of the flock that's impressive. If you stand under it the sound is amazing.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I've seen starling murmurations twice now, once at Blackpool Pier.
Not too fond of these birds but that sight is amazing )t'