Garden Wildlife ..

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Garden Wildlife ..

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Hello everyone.

I was just wondering if anybody has any frugal ideas of attracting more wildlife to gardens.
My garden for a start is too tidy , so gonna change that , any frugal ideas for bird feeders , squirel feeders , best food to feed the birds , frugal ideas for bird baths.
The best plants etc , anything that is a clever more frugal alternative to the costly garden centre prices , , thank you
Peter.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: Garden Wildlife ..

Post by fishpond »

Dig a hole and fill it with water--use a liner if you need to.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I get a lot of bees around my lavender bushes and buddlea are meant to attract butterflies. I have a cheap bird feeding station which we bought a few years back for about £14.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Buddlea are good for insects and are dirt cheap. Fid one growing wild, have a bit off it (woody stem) and stick it in the ground. In no time at all it will root and start growing.
A simple wooden box knocked up out of recycled wood will make a good hedgehog nest or nest box for birds. Just alter the size and shape and it will suit many types of birds right up to owls. you can even make a bat box this way.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Small heaps of old rocks and old wood make great habitats for bugs and slugs, the bigger wildlife will come in to get them.
Leave teasel seed heads for the winter - brings in goldfinches.
Make bug hotels from short bundles of bamboo cane and twigs held together in a box or old tin cans.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

I've seen hanging around college some 2 litre bottles with the bottoms cut off, and cardboard rolled up (Kind of tight but so there are gaps) put inside them. According to the teachers they're there to attract bugs. I don't know if they're working though.

They could attract some bugs to the garden for you. Although they don't look that nice.
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Well, the wild birds went ape yesterday, all sorting territory I counted 5 species arguing the toss...
They know summat we don't.....
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Steve the Gas wrote:Well, the wild birds went ape yesterday, all sorting territory I counted 5 species arguing the toss...

Just what I said yesterday! Blue and great tits exploring nest boxes and our mallards are pairing up! :?
I have a small pond on the lotty made from an old loft cistern, covered now because the mallard have tried to take it over! Lots of ladybirds about and even wasps!
This is a pic of my plot bird table, just before I pressed the zoom there were a pair of willow tits feeding! :shock: I will get a pic!!!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Steve the Gas wrote:Well, the wild birds went ape yesterday, all sorting territory I counted 5 species arguing the toss...

Just what I said yesterday! Blue and great tits exploring nest boxes and our mallards are pairing up! :?
I have a small pond on the lotty made from an old loft cistern, covered now because the mallard have tried to take it over! Lots of ladybirds about and even wasps!
This is a pic of my plot bird table, just before I pressed the zoom there were a pair of willow tits feeding! :shock: I will get a pic!!!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Mallard,
No birdies showing up on the second photo either :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

We use a simple plant pot under-dish on a stump that the birds drink from and bathe in, every day, in warm weather.

We also bought a £4.00 square plastic storage bin with a lid. We measured the ground, dug a perfect size square, and placed the bin in the hole (top at ground level) We have had lots of frogs for 2 years now and alot less snails! :-D

cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

Does anyone know how to attract moths? Because apparently they attract bats and I'd like to get some of them flying around the garden at some point.

I've seen some when walking down the road, but never in my garden.
Frog crazy
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

cgisby wrote:Does anyone know how to attract moths? Because apparently they attract bats and I'd like to get some of them flying around the garden at some point.

I've seen some when walking down the road, but never in my garden.

Have you thought about building a bat-house? >mmm<
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

I have but the only good place to put one is just out of reach, anywhere else would be too close to where the neighbours cats could get to.
Frog crazy
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

cgisby wrote:I have but the only good place to put one is just out of reach, anywhere else would be too close to where the neighbours cats could get to.

Bat houses have to be on a pole and very high up~ Google about building them~ :-D