Hedgehogs ;-(

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Hedgehogs ;-(

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm noticing lots of little hedgehogs in the roads at the moment, why oh why do they decide to cross busy roads? {cry}

There seems to be a lot of them around here, poor little things.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Re: Hedgehogs ;-(

Post by wendy »

at least it shows you have them.
We used to have quite a few that we saw and were killed on the road.
Now we never see either {cry} only see foxes now, I wonder if they eat them ? and that is the problem
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
ock

Post by ock »

we don`t get any here {cry} , too many badgers, they can get them open with their claws {cry} , not sure if foxes can eat them, my dad once told me that foxes pee on them to get them open +confused+ , mind you, he also told me that the icecream van only plays music when he`s run out of ice cream +confused+ {cry}
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

ock wrote:we don`t get any here , too many badgers, they can get them open with their claws {cry} , not sure if foxes can eat them, my dad once told me that foxes pee on them to get them open +confused+ , mind you, he also told me that the icecream van only plays music when he`s run out of ice cream +confused+ {cry}

{rofwl}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

My nana used to ALWAYS get them in the garden on a night, she has big patio doors so me and my sister used to stay up to watch them when we were little :-D
She also used to get loads of frogs hopping through the garden, don't get either now :(
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Sounds like we're quite lucky to have them around here then. Wonder why that is?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

ock wrote: mind you, he also told me that the icecream van only plays music when he`s run out of ice cream +confused+ {cry}

{rofwl} {rofwl} my friends dad used to say that to her too! {rofwl}
Bev x

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We have two hodgepigs in our garden )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

My old house used to get a lot of hedgehogs in the garden.

Sadly round here I'm seeing a lot of young rabbits and hedgehogs flattened by cars! A young squirrel ran into the road just round the corner from my house last week - luckily it is a popular crossing place with a family of squirrels, so I always check my mirror and make sure I am travelling slowly and make sure if one runs out I can brake without having someone go into back of me.

Poor little squirrel ran into road, I braked to stop and it then couldn't make its mind which way to go it ran back one way and then decided to make a run for it. PHew!!!!
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I fostered hedgehogs for a few years - the ones that were too small to see it through winter. They are lovely creatures but unfortunately are very primitive and not that adaptable. I don't believe that they have got very long before extinction, which is such a shame.

Foxes shouldn't pose a problem for a hedgepig, at least not a fully grown one, I am not too sure about a baby. Badgers can certainly break through the prickles though.

I would just love it if we had hedgehogs in our garden. We had at least one in a house we used to live in. I am in the habit of wandering around barefoot and I went to collect the washing off the line after dark one summer night and I accidentally kicked one. I had no idea what it was, I thought it was a ball until it got up and legged it across the grass.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

ock wrote:we don`t get any here {cry} , too many badgers, they can get them open with their claws {cry} , not sure if foxes can eat them, my dad once told me that foxes pee on them to get them open +confused+ , mind you, he also told me that the icecream van only plays music when he`s run out of ice cream +confused+ {cry}

My brothers dog pees on the hedgehogs in their garden. Theory is he wants to know if there are any strangers about :)