Oh no squirrels!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Oh no squirrels!

Post by fabindia »

I have been at my mom and dad's for the weekend. They live in the Midlands, 240 miles from us in the North East.

Each morning we woke up, there was scuffling and scratching in the ceiling above us. So I went in the loft this moring and found it has been taken over by a family of squirrels! Mom and dad are getting on a bit, dad is 82 now, and they are a bit worried not knowi ng what to do next. If I lived a bit closer, I would buy a couple of squirrel traps and put them up there and check them every couple of days. Then I could block off where they are getting in.

I guess the only option is to get a pest controller in.

Any other ideas?
Michael
julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: Oh no squirrels!

Post by julie62 »

Def need to get a pest controller - dont know if the council would help? They must get it sorted though - dont want to alarm you but a friend of mine ended up with a very hefty bill from the damage they caused in the loft - they are very destructive little blighters ..
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Dawn & Dave
Lively Laner

Post by Dawn & Dave »

Best thing to do is get pest control out, i was watching a progamme yesterday on a pest exterminator and there was a squirrel in the loft, it had chewed electric wiring and it was amazing that the house didnt catch fire. Get it sorted asap !!!
Dawn & Dave

2 dogs Bradley and Fizzy Pop, 2 Hampsters Gibb's and McGee
12 Chucks, Clover,Heidi (Light Sussex),Charlotte (Neva),Annabell ( speckledy),Ginger (Columbian Blacktail),Star (Amber Star), Hinge & Bracket (White Leghorns), Bluebell (Bluebell),Pheonix (Black Sussex),Primrose and Blossom (Cream Legbar).
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Definitely get pest control in, not only do they chew electrics and everything else in their path, they are very, very nasty when they have young.

I have never known my 6'4" son come down a ladder so quick with a squirrel after him when he was doing some repairs on the roof. I take it they are grey squirrels.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Pest control, failing that anyone with an air gun! )reap( ..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

silverback wrote:Pest control, failing that anyone with an air gun! )reap( ..

My son lent his air rifle to his girl friend's father. He sat quietly in an upstairs bedroom and got rid of two or three of them at his house in a couple of days.
Michael