beautiful flying creatures

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

beautiful flying creatures

Post by ChrisG »

It has been a tad warm outside, but all the better for bringing out the butterflies. I have seen several orange tips and a couple of peacocks. Then, when coming inside for a drink of water, I saw a gorgeous daytime moth, but I cant identify it (not familiar with moths and dont have a moth book). It was about an inch long from 'nose' to tip, maybe a bit shorter. It formed a perfect triangle when it opened out its wings and was pale lemon in colour with three grey marks on the egde of each wing - just little spots right at the edge, three on each side. Didnt have the camera or phone with me and of course it had gone when I went back. So if anyone can tell me what it might be from the description, I'd be very grateful )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Re: beautiful flying creatures

Post by paddy graham »

Ruth,by the descripion it may be a Brimstone,it is quite common over Europe.If you have Blackthorn or Hawthorn around you the its lava feeds on those trees.If you want to be sure then go to the website.Back garden moths,they are the experts on that site.But to me it sounds like the one.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks Paddy. I've been to look at some pictures of the brimstone and it could be, but mine seemed more slender, not as wide at the base of the 'triangle'. Maybe it was a juvenile?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

we get tiger moths, their caterpillars feed on one of the weeds I let grow in my garden but it is best not to touch them as they have poisonous hairs that cause a rash. there are a lot of swallows out and about today.
Bah Humbug
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am not familiar with moths/butterflies, but your description made it sound very pretty. I have not seen many butterflies round here, but having said that we have 11 Swallows nests in the barns, so perhaps they are eating them.

Talking of Swallows, we were sat in the room tonight with the top window open and a Swallow perched on the frame and was looking at us, they are very pretty birds when you look at them in detail.