Bees

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
p.penn

Bees

Post by p.penn »

I can't remember if I have already mentioned this, but I have bees in my composter. I thought they had gone, but they haven't :?

I have taken some photos but they aren't great, and by a process of what they definitely are not, I think they are honey bees and I am thinking perhaps I will just leave them alone. Will this be a problem do you think?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Bees

Post by Annie »

I remember you mentioning it before Helen and I think Lenny may have made a comment as he is a bee keeper himself but problem is I can't recall what he said - great help aren't I {rofwl} .
From experience of my friend this year, the local bee keeping society will come and take the bees away if they are honey bees but otherwise aren't interested.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have looked at that, but they charge to do so. :?

I would have to make sure they were the right bees first too. >shrug<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
perchy

Post by perchy »

p.penn wrote:I have looked at that, but they charge to do so. :?

I would have to make sure they were the right bees first too. >shrug<

Are they making honey or candles? {rofwl}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

That's a techy question Perches, Penn will have to ask Al...

)run(
Bah Humbug
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Crikey Helen they are a load of tight wads down there, the scottish beekeepers are more thrifty and if they can get a nest of honeybees for free they snatch your arm off !
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's my own fault Annie - they say to be careful what you wish for and I would really like to keep bees!!

But not in my composter
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

snap Helen but 1st I have to win the lottery and but a big old rectory with a walled garden and orchard because thats where I will keep my hives .....................well away from Eck
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

We had a bees nest under the roof of our home last year. They didn't get into the home but I was concerned about them. As we have an ex bee keeper living near us, I got him to look. He said that he could remove them for us but that if left alone would eventually go on their own. He did however say that they will often come back to the same place to nest.
We did leave them and they did go. We found a small gap where they were getting in and blocked it. Saw a few surveying it this year but they didn't stay.
A long way round to saying that yours won't hurt where they are and will go, but you may get them back again.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am amazed that beekeepers society said they would charge you for removing bees. My hubby has been been phoned about 3 swarms in different places, even one on a roundabout, all collected no charge. I would have thought bee keepers would be glad of a swarm, I know my hubby is pleased with these ones he has collected and is now up to 5 hives.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I mentioned it at work today, and there is a lady there who apparently keeps bees )c(

She is away on holiday at the moment, but I will speak to her when she gets back and see if she will have a look. If they are going to leave eventually, then that's fine, but to be honest, much as I love seeing them buzzing round the garden, it's a bit of a nuisance if I can't ever use that composter again. :?

Also, if they are making honey.....what is happening to it? Yum yum!!
Helen xx