Problem Spiders

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
zedhead
Lively Laner

Problem Spiders

Post by zedhead »

This may not go down too well but here goes. I have a problem, my van is infested with spiders (lots of em) it is like going into an old shed in the morning. Now my Mrs is not keen on em and is starting to refuse to get in the van which is a pain and they set the alarm off as well.
Is there a smoke bomb type spider killer or something I can use to rid myself of them until next time I have to clear one of the families garden rubbish.

Thank you for looking
Barry
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Problem Spiders

Post by Meanqueen »

I have used one of the aerosol sprays for killing fleas around the house, keeping on top of the situation in case any of the pesky little blighters decide to hop onto one of my cats. You spray a room and leave it closed for several hours. After opening up I noticed that anything with x amount of legs also lay dead, there wasn't a bug left in the place. Might be worth a try.
Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Not sure about the bomb things, I would go with Ilona’s suggestion only use fly spray.
Without being too deep it does throw up the question as to whether or not it is OK to deliberately kill another creature because you don’t like it; I do not recall anyone actually being harmed by a native spider in the UK so there shouldn’t be any reason to have to kill them. Does a spider have any less right to live than a pet cat? Spiders do actually have a highly beneficial role in keeping insect numbers down whereas introduced species like domestic cats don’t. I suppose that it all boils down to what you classify as a lovable animal and what you class as something to be killed.

I did read somewhere that spiders cause quite a lot of car crashes and I can quite understand why if you have a phobia.
Bah Humbug
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Can't you just get a brush and sweep them out?
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank you for your replies, I thought the question may create some debate about the killing of creatures. My wife has the phobia not me I couldn't let her drive it as they are every where and despite how irrational a fear it is I am sure she would have a fit if one of the big ones crawled up her leg ha ha , my neighbors are not happy when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. It is a boarded out panel van so I can't sweep or hoover all of the hidey holes that the creatures hide in. Leaving the alarm off isn't an option where I live.
The spray sounds a good idea I didn't think of that.

Barry
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
Caz68
Learner Laner

Post by Caz68 »

Spraying them would more than likely kill them off. I only know this as I keep Tarantulas and I cant use fly spray. Also spiders arn`t keen on horse chestnuts (so I read) so collect some next time they fall and scatter them in the van. Worth a try :-D
Slave to 2 kids, 3 shih tzu`s, 2 cats, 2 Chinchillas, 3 tortoises, 3 bearded dragons, 4 chickens, 4 ducks, 1 hamster, 3 snakes and 30 Tarantulas.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank you, I did spray and it has sorted my problem to a manageable level It didn't get all the spiders but did do away with two grasshoppers that I didn't know were hitching a lift, it was possibly these that were setting the alarm off.
It was quite funny the day before i sprayed the van I was driving and a spider came out of the steering column across my hand and down onto the door, if my wife had been driving god only knows what would have happened.

thanks again troops

Barry
Barry.

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

could have been nasty that.

)ot: I once spilled a tub of maggots in the boot of my car... I had bluebottles coming out of the air vents for literally years afterwards (Mrs S-S reckons five years). that is how long a quarter pint of maggots can last.
On the down side I had to buy more maggots for the next days fishing )gr:
Bah Humbug