badger

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Mrs B

badger

Post by Mrs B »

When we first moved here we saw a badger in the street but never since.

A month or so ago I was clearing some of the wilderness area between us and the cemetery and found a burrow/tunnel, looked up pics online and it looked like a badger sett. Beerless sprinkled grass cutting around the hole s we could tell if it was in use, quite a few paw prints so it is in use and their wasn't .

Last night Beerless spotted the badger in the street and then it strolled off presumably back towards our wilderness.

I am so happy that badger is still with us, I have made loads of woodpiles in the wilderness so there should be plenty of critters in there for him to chomp on.

Do badgers keep foxes away?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: badger

Post by Annie »

Don't know Mrs B but you will have to start badger watch now , beautiful creatures aren't they ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie wrote:, beautiful creatures aren't they ?

I wouldn't know I was in bed :oops: .

When Beerless returns from his cycling trip to Berwick I shall get him to camp out in his garden for couple of nights and he can keep watch on the critter
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That is brilliant Mrs B, they are lovely animals, we had a sett near where I lived on dartmoor and we used to go badger watching, on summer evenings, it was great seeing them.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Iv never seen one either Mrs B but its great to hear you have one near you i hope Mr B catches a glimpse of him or her :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

They are lovely creatures (not to be cornered though), in my experience badgers and foxes can live in close proximity but don't mix.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

That's lovely to have a badger lodging with you, your garden is a perfect home for him. let me know if beer less needs company for his sleep out, I'll send Paul down with a campfire )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

How lovely. The only ones I have seen around her are dead in the road, sadly.

They will go after chooks though, if you have any, and can get through better defences than foxes. So a major overhaul maybe needed.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

You need to get a trail cam missus!

A couple of years ago, going to work at 4.30am, I saw a young deer on my street! We're not exactly in the middle of nowhere but we're right on the edge of the city, it was amazing to watch. It ran off and through someone's garden. I haven't seen it since.

There are quite a few foxes around here too, sometimes when it's a bright moonlit night you can see them of the fields behind my house.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

As said, foxes and badgers don't often mix but don't actually put each other off living somewhere. We have both in a ditch edge about 60 yards off my paddocks and they all use my grass arena to roll and clean themselves - hence my dogs rolling in fox poo often }hairout{

Try chucking them a few peanuts out in the evening. They love a peanut!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Yes we have had badgers and foxes in our garden, and i strongly suspect that a badger had a nip at one of my girls, when the run door hadn't been fasten properly, be careful
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

First thought is how lovely, second is not for most gardens.
Badgers are fun looking creatures but can be a real nuisance as they dig up lawns etc looking for food.

Also I don't know if it was a badger (there is a set near) but something caught my tabby cat by the tail, she came home with the end of her tail stripped to the bone all the way round and had to have it amputated yike*
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

lol we have lawns in that area but they are far from pristine. The whole area had been derelict for decades when we took it on and it was never our intention to make it a posh garden. The chickens have their lawned garden which houses damson, crab apple, hawthorn and assorted other trees along with lavender beds and numerous compost heaps. Then you climb the stairs to the old yew tree which perfectly shades the chicken run and keeps the worst of the rain and snow off the girls this is all behind a stone wall. You walk along the pathway with the yew tree to your left and the right area is screened from the road by more assorted trees and holly bushes .. this continues on the right to the cemetery railings or you can walk up a couple of steps to the left which leads into the summer house nd greenhouse garden, this again is bordered on one side by more trees in a raised area which again runs to the cemetery and we have made several wood piles so the insects that reside in there will keep other wildlife fed. The river is over the road.

Badger heaven really. The actual house gardens I prefer to keep tidy and floral

One of our tasks this weekend is to measure the area.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

and of course )piicy(
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Bollybarb wrote:and of course )piicy(

I dare not as Richard would tell me off for posting too many pics and using too much of his memory techy thing