Bird box

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
zedhead
Lively Laner

Bird box

Post by zedhead »

We were given a new bird box for Christmas (a very pretty one) and were wondering if we could or should do a straight swap for our old box which was used by great tits last year or if we should place it elsewhere..

Thank you for reading
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
perchy

Re: Bird box

Post by perchy »

Do you clean the old box out fully? if not you could put a bit of the inside in the new box, it will remind the same pair of home so to speak, is it brightly coloured the new one? It may need a little toning down )t'
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

perchy wrote:Do you clean the old box out fully? if not you could put a bit of the inside in the new box, it will remind the same pair of home so to speak, is it brightly coloured the new one? It may need a little toning down )t'

Thank you again perchy, no I didn't clean the old box out, I didn't know I had to, and the new box is twice the size and totally different in colour and size that is why I asked the question.
We inherited the original box with the house and loved watching the birds last year as being a couple of townies we had never seen anything like this before.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
perchy

Post by perchy »

If you have access to it, see what it is like, you don't have to clear it out unless it is messy or not all the chicks made it, Blue tits are pretty clean as are most birds, what about putting it up and putting a bit of tumble/hoover fluff in and a bit of the old stuff, they can add to it then, am sure they will be ok and make their new box a deluxe home in no time )t'
Alot of our birds take bits of straw from the chickens and the odd feather, they do love hoover/tumble fluff )t'
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank you.... will do ... I couldn't see how the old one came apart so left it but will investigate further. At last a use for tumble fluff )t'
Barry.