Look Who Called in Today

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Look Who Called in Today

Post by HensAloud »

Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Mrs B

Re: Look Who Called in Today

Post by Mrs B »

Awwww he is lovely and what a superb photo. I hope your girls left him some slugs to chomp on.
wendy

Post by wendy »

We so rarely see these nowadays, sadly.
He is lovely.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

A couple of months ago our GSD Misty came in from the garden and dropped what I thought was a football on the kitchen floor. Then I realised it was a hedgehog curled into a ball.
She hadn't hurt it and it toddled off into the shrubbery.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I would so love to see one of these in my garden envy}}
We had them at home when I was a kid, but haven't seen one (outside of wildlife centers) in many years.
ock

Post by ock »

awwww love hedgehogs, haven`t seen one in years though, we don`t get them in our garden because there`s too many badgers about )eat( {cry}
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We have one sleeping in a cat basket in the lean-to behind our garage at the moment. He was making a nuisance of himself, winding the chickens up every evening, trying to find somewhere warm to sleep. We filled a basket with straw & left it in the lean-to - he's taken leaves, grass, all kinds of bits and pieces in there & has been asleep for about a month now.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

We get hedgehogs in our garden regularly, never seen a real life badger though. :-D
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

No hedgehogs since the arrival of the hens as they have stolen the overgrown bit of garden where the hedgehogs used to play. Paddy the springer spaniel was a devil for bringing them in too. I would have thought they would still have been sleeping through the winter, has the changing climate encouraged more to stop hibernating ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

When our hedgehog was still wandering around well into November, I looked it up. Apparently they don't always hibernate, and can manage without, unless the weather gets really cold. We haven't had any properly cold weather here yet this winter - a couple of light frosts, but nothing worse. The hedgehog at our last house seemed to vanish from the end of October until the end of April.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Lovely picture Angela, we don't seem to get hedgehogs around here anymore either {cry} .
Hope he becomes a regular visitor for you
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

What a lovely photo of a hedgehog, they have such cute faces. We have had a couple in garden over the years we have lived here but they generally do not seem to be a round so much nowadays whereas once they were a common sighting in a garden. Saz, badgers are great to see, know there is a lot of contraversy around them nowadays but they are quite stunning, used to go badger watching when I lived on Dartmoor.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Its a long long time since I saw a Hedgehog. They are usually at the side of the road if I do see one. Makes me so sad {cry}
LYN
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I think he was quite young, certainly not fully grown,and he seemed quite tame. The hens were quite curious, he toddled around for ages. :-D
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I've had one this year as well - but he looked on the small side and I was worried he wouldn't make it through the winter - hopefully the mild weather will have helped his chances.

Certainly not as many around as there used to be - but since I stopped using slug pellets a few years ago now have seen a few (and lots more frogs and toads and less slugs too)
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."