Squirrel

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
RMAC
Learner Laner

Squirrel

Post by RMAC »

Hello
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can stop a squirrel getting at our bird feeders? He is not only putting the birds off coming to the food he is also breaking the wire on the feeders. Anything that would put if off coming to them?
Thanks,
Rosss
wendy

Re: Squirrel

Post by wendy »

If you find our Ross, let me know.
Our little lot have made off with two feeders :? Just cannot find them
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
RMAC
Learner Laner

Post by RMAC »

Fingers crossed someone has an idea! He doesn't scare very easily either. I scare him away and he's back 5 minutes later!
Ross
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Are they hanging feeders or the ones on a pole?
I just remember my grandad telling me that someone he knew attached a slinky to the pole, when the squirrel grabbed it he fell straight to the floor!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ha, I can just picture it Lisa.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I sell bird feeders and get asked this on a weekly basis.

There's a million approaches, but a million and one squirrels! For some people basic anti-squirrel feeders work. They must have stupid squirrels. For others a decent steel 'FortNuts' style feeder works, but again clever squirrels will find a way to nick them wholesale. Fastening the feeder onto the hanger with string (bale band is good) will help, unless your squirrels went to Boy Scout meetings of course!

Adding chilli powder to feed can help, as birds don't mind it and squirrels hate it. Greasing feeder poles helps, so long as they can't jump on to the feeders and avoid it (they can often make twelve foot jumps from trees and fences, so don't count on that working in most gardens), but who wants to be out with vaseline every week?

Failing all other ideas, try either shooting said rodents (or trapping and moving to a large public park already full of them), or simply feeding them. Most of my customers just give in and feed them, then alter what they feed the birds to stuff less appealing to squirrels.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
RMAC
Learner Laner

Post by RMAC »

Thanks for your replies. As the feeders are hanging from a wall a few of these options are not viable for me. Think I will give the chilli powder a try though. If that doesnt work I may have to start down the capturing route...
Thanks again for the ideas
Ross