Hedgehog rescue.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Hedgehog rescue.

Post by jannie »

I recently volunteered to help rescue hedgehogs in trouble.

I have rescued a few that have been found walking around in daylight .. a sign that they are sick and need urgent medical help. I take them to a wildlife hospital until they are well again then collect them and release them where I found them.

Last night ..whilst enjoying a soak in the bath about 11 o'clock I had a call out from a local farmer .. her rottweiler and Westie were playing football with a hedgehog. >dowhat< The Rottie was actually tossing the poor thing in the air then yelping because the spikes were hurting him {warn}. By the time I got there the dogs were indoors but the hedgehog was rolled up in a tight ball and hadn't moved for over half an hour. There was no way I could examine him so I took him home with me. He was moving slightly so as I knew he was still alive I put him in a quiet spot in the garden then sat close by to watch him.

11.45 pm

Over an hour later he uncurled himself and started to walk around.. no signs of any injuries at all. I picked him up and he stayed uncurled long enough to see that he is a little boy .. had it been female I would have had to take her back to where I found her in case she had young to feed. But as the environment I found him in is dangerous and he's male, and they don't mate for life, he can stay here and hopefully start a new family with one of the ladies who live under my shed.)c(

..and here he is at 1 am happily munching on a slug.
perchy

Re: Hedgehog rescue.

Post by perchy »

Aww how lovely and what lovely photo's you will have to name him of course {hug}

Good on the Farmer too )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awwwww... what a lovely story. so glad he's now safe {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I love a story with a happy ending, thanks for posting.

Just to say well done you and you must have oodles of patience waiting all that while. I hope you had a good sleep eventually. )t'
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Lovely! Wish I had some in my garden.
The nearest rescue to us charge £80 if you want to adopt one of their hedgehogs, with no guarantee it will even stay in your garden!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

He's a lucky hedgehog to have been rescued by you Jannie, and very cute.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen