I have an unwanted visitor - any suggestions??

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

I have an unwanted visitor - any suggestions??

Post by Babycakes »

My driveway is grey gravel-type stuff, and most mornings when I get up I find something has pooped in it. I dont particulalrly like poop scooping after my own dog but it is a necessary evil - but doing after some unknown is just awful :(
My little girl is 14 months old and walking now, so I need to do something. I can't have the drive tarmac-d over because the landlord wont pay for it. I tried a spray deterrent which worked until it rained (about 2 days) I dont even know if it is cat or dog - evidence could point at either.
I am at the end of my tether with this stinky critter, and if it is a dog, even more so with the vile owner who lets it out to do this!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Cats tend to bury their poo. Fox poo is smaller dollops than dog poo and quite dark. Hedgehog poo is surprisingly big compared to their size, very dark and long (smaller than fox poo but very similar).

There I am a sh*t expert :oops:

Don't know if that helps - oh and fox and hog is nowhere near as stinky as dog :-D
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

It is either a large cat or small dog. The aforementioed inconclusive evidence is that there are some scrapings around the deposits which might suggest a cat attempting to bury it, but it must be a bloody big cat!!!!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Try Throwing some dry soap powder down there

My cat jack started pooing outside the back door on the gravel!

I sprinkled soap powder down a few times over a week, he never goes there now

Problem solved for me! )t' Try it!
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

And at least it will get cleaned away when it rains :-D )t'
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thing is kate as the powder gets wet it smells even nicer, the cats hate scent its to strong for them
Last edited by stace on 12 Oct 2008, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I've heard old teabags help to deter cats?
Small steps lead to big changes
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

If it's sticky, it's possibly a Fox ?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I love that washing powder suggestion, )t' we have re-turfed over our gravel path and decked the gravel patio this summer as all the local cate seemed to think we had laid them just to provide a toilet facility. There are still stony areas at the front which the cats use, I'm going to treat them now - it will smell lovely too (f+
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well, it's better hosing the gravel than going over cats and dogs poo with the Lawnmower.

1. The smell

2. The long greasy smear accross your freshly cut lawn.

A good chicken poo hovers up with a rotary mower I find, then straight on the compost ready mixed !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I have had sucess with curry or chili powder on our front garden
gravel. A neighbouring puss keeps pooing there and it's disgusting!
The washing powder seems a good idea, I will give it a try )t'
Looove chucks!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Whilst we are discussing various animal poo can I please ask if anyone would have an idea as to what is dumping in the gravel boarder to our block; it looks like a small cow has laid it to be honest and about six or seven inches in diameter and very dark coloured (almost black). Way to big to be a cat, and definitely not a small cow (a Shetland cow perhaps?) as there aren’t any in the base. Foxes do abound but it seems too big unless they happen to have been on the lager and vindaloo the night before. I did perhaps wonder about badgers which certainly do live within the perimeter fence but they’d have to travel a bit to reach the toilet area. Totally perplexed by this one I’m afraid; although not that bothered as I don’t have to clear it away. Any ideas?
Bah Humbug
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Fox poo is very dark, but not really that big, they tend to do a smaller pile than my Springer Spaniel, so not sure re your lump!

See you have morphed into a giraffe now.............
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

That sounds like a badger by your description. They usually have a set place for their poo ....all along our farm track here. Its usual for them to dig a hole, but they never cover it. They are very persistant too. One dug a hole in my horses field, and kept pooing in it. I put a large flat stone over the hole. Next morning, badger had done it on the stone!!!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

The end of my tether has been reached. I have made a complaint to the landlord and asked/begged him to tarmac the driveway. We're the only gravel drive in the street, so I think the local beasties think we're the local giant litter tray. NOTHING is working and now "it" has a runny tummy so I can't even scoop it. Total nightmare!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!