Froggies!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Froggies!

Post by HedgeHugger »

Well my toads ('ark @ me, my toads!) laid strings of spawn on Monday night, spotted them on Tuesday.
2 days previously I was doing my nightly pond check when I could hear a high peeping noise. Tracked it down to a bundle of toads, not able to get to the pond due to the wall. :oops: If only they'd worked out where the path and ramp was hehe.
Anyway I picked up the lady toad and her locked on, gripping tightly, paramours and dumped them in the pond. I guess it was the right thing to do :)
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Our frog spawn's hatching now after what feels like a very long wait.

This year there's about ten Belfast sinks (some in groups) yet only two had spawn in them, which perplexed me a bit. Haven't even seen any frogs in most of them, when last year there was a massive population boom after my efforts to feed and house them succeeded. Still, one female produced enough spawn to fill all ten sinks with babies if needs be.
Floosy {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My lovely, innocent hens gobbled up the tadpoles. I'd never seen chickens go fishing before. One of them circles the pond for ages with her beady eyes. Luckily they haven't started on the fish yet!

Today I discovered they also like frogs! Big Ones! (not so big once the ladies had finished dining!) I had my suspicions that they probably ate some of the froglets last year. No idea they'd go for the adults.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear. You need to protect the pond if that's happening.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome