Froggies!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Froggies!

Post by HedgeHugger »

Most nights when locking the chickens up I take the torch and have a look at the pond.
Really I'm looking for Newts (none have shown up yet in the 4 years since the pond was dug, but I can hope :) ).
Yesterday I saw the first frog of the year, and today I saw 2 )t'
I love their croaky croakiness, and can't wait for the usual frog-fest.
No idea how many froglets survived last year, with the chickens free-ranging!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Froggies!

Post by Richard »

Crikey, the early bird catches the worm )t'

I must have a look round my Garden 'Pond' area.

Slight signs of Winter's end......at last

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

No sign of our froggie yet. This was our first winter with a pond so we don't really know what to expect. We were pretty surprised when he/she moved in within days of the pond being dug.

Newts live in a pond about 200 yds away so I'm hoping that some might migrate to us but it's only a little pond and possibly not very attractive to newts.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

bmpsands wrote:No sign of our froggie yet. This was our first winter with a pond so we don't really know what to expect. We were pretty surprised when he/she moved in within days of the pond being dug.

Newts live in a pond about 200 yds away so I'm hoping that some might migrate to us but it's only a little pond and possibly not very attractive to newts.

One of the things I read in a book about wildlife ponds I bought was just how self populating ponds are. The author made the point that over thousands of years, nature had produced new ponds and at the same time others have dried up. The view was as long as you build a pond, nature will find it.
Michael
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

First clump of spawn appeared overnight. I did a quick check last night and saw 10 frogs in the pond. Think most are males though. Last year first clump appeared on the 25th Feb so a day difference!

If the kitchen windows are open I can hear them singing away. If I shut one of the windows heavily I hear a PLOP! as they all dive in/under :)
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

I love frogs but don't have the room in the garden for a pond! We had one come into our garden last year and get itself stuck in the chicken run, luckily the chickens didn't see it. I think he/she was attracted to the sound of the water feature Image
(that I made myself ;) )
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Nice one :) )t'

I'm sure if the frogs had access they might surprise you.

I think I will have just the one clump this year :( Lots of Mr. Frogs, no ladies to join them in their song (apart from the one and she's done her bit for frogkind).

I'll be keeping my eye out for the toadspawn now. Last year it appeared on the 19th March.
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

I'm unsure if I want to make a ramp type thing to let the frogs in. I'd love to encourage wildlife and whatnot, but I know as soon as there's spawn or tadpoles or even frogs/toads running around, my chickens will be trying to eat them. They're bad enough that they've eaten all the plants in the feature.
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Been checking my pond every day. But no sign of any activity yet. Still not quite Spring here yet.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They are hopping across the roads near us, aiming for the ponds in the field (don't all make it though).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mo wrote:(don't all make it though).

How sad :-(
Michael
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Near where I used to live they sometimes shut one of the lanes for a month or 3, that had toads crossing, to give them a chance. (Norton's Wood Lane, Clevedon).
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

The taddies are hatching. Only did get the one clump of spawn this year, lady frogs seem to be in short supply, had plenty of males hanging about.

No sign of the toads spawning yet.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You're doing well, I haven't seen anything yet.

Saying that I only seem to see them in my Garden from about May every year?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome