Any Hedgehog stories?

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Any Hedgehog stories?

Post by Richard »

Hedgehog Awareness Week has started.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Any Hedgehog stories?

Post by kitla »

oh no! I wish our hedgehog was aware it was hedgehog awareness week! I haven't
seen him for over a week! When dh was in his shed one evening he heard a crash,
went outside and almost stepped on hedgehog crouched right by the door having
knocked over a big stick & frightened himself. None of the hedgehog food has been
eaten since then, I think it put him off our garden!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I wouldn't worry that you may have put him/her off your garden Kitla {hug}
...Hedgehogs are nomadic and can travel up to 2 miles a night and nap in several nests during that time. If it's a female and has found a mate she will settle down and nest until the hoglets are around 5-6 weeks old when they'll wander off on their own and she'll be off on her travels again. Chances are it will be back at some stage but other hedgehogs will also use the nest if it's vacant. They're not fussy about having their own house but love 'Hedgehog hotels' so every garden should have one. )t' {hog}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'm at house sitting where the owner of the property is a keen Hedgehog person.

Every evening I'm here I go up to it's bowl in the house I made for them out of bricks.

The lady leaves the food for me to give them - cat biscuits, mealworms and half a banana!!

I shall do a hedgehog watch tonight, must be a mighty big one !!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

we just found two hedgehogs in the garden today! there's a little hole in our wall which has decking above it. Last year and previously we have had h/hogs emerge from the same place, though the little one died last summer. these present hogs look very healthy and full grown....we hope that they are parents!! the girls have given a quick check and decided to live and let live..... :-D :-D