Anyone got a Jay in their garden?

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Anyone got a Jay in their garden?

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have one that comes quite regularly now and I honestly didn't appreciate just how pretty they were. The smaller birds are not keen though.

We also have a Green Woodpecker that comes and hunts for bugs in the grass. That never gets close enough to really see, but have caught sight of his red head, very pretty.
wendy

Re: Anyone got a Jay in their garden?

Post by wendy »

Yes I do have a couple, more in the field than the garden. But they sometimes come in.
Truly lovely colours
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I saw the first one of the year in my garden yesterday.
There seems to be just two who visit through the year, in Spring it's daily.

However, this year I have to put some chicken wire around one of the Sparrows favourite nesting places above my back door.
Last Spring the Jay took all the babies in a matter of minutes I think.

Law of the Jungle, but I agree, they are beautiful, especially the blue flash in flight.
Strange they are members of the Crow family, they look more like Pigeons / Doves !

I love Green Woodpeckers and get the occasional visit.
Greater Spotted Woodpeckers are on my Peanuts every day of the year - their young as well in Spring

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We get both jays and green woodpeckers here,

At present we have @ 3/4 jays that visit every day feeding on the acorns and walnuts we put out for them. They are truly a stunning bird happily landing on the window sill to feed. They are one of our favorites (the golden oriole, bee-eater and hoopoe top my list), they amaze us all year with their diverse calls but they are one of the noisiest birds around!

The green woodpeckers amuse us as they always seem to be laughing at us! Although they are eating the walnuts at present in the spring/summer they patrol the grass presumably eating any insects that they find there.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I always like to see them. Very handsome. I do get one in the orchard sometimes. I think my favourite is the flock of long-tail tits. But love them all.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Richard wrote: Last Spring the Jay took all the babies in a matter of minutes I think.

I had read about jays doing this but had never witnessed it until today when two jays swooped in to the trees bordering our garden and after much noise one left flying away with a young chick in its beak closely followed by the second jay.

Nature, not pleasant at times but always fascinating.
"Not all those who wander are lost"