Bird baths in winter

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
steveindenmark
Learner Laner

Bird baths in winter

Post by steveindenmark »

We are having a particularly cold spell in Denmark at the moment. Every morning the water in the stone bird bath is frozen solid. But it is important that the birds have access to drinking and bathing water and we have solved this problem.

Every morning we boil the kettle and pour it over the frozen water to clear it of ice. The trough stands on the floor on two small tins. We then light 3 or 4 tea lights under the trough and fill the trough with warm water.

Regardless of the temperature, and we go below -20 in Denmark. The water will stay ice free for at least 5 hours, so the birds can use it.

It is not long before we get our first customers and it is lovely to stand in the kitchen and watch them.

When I learn to post photos on here I will share some.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Bird baths in winter

Post by Mo »

Yes, that's my second job on really a cold morning - feed the horses, break the ice in their tubs, bring in the bird bowls.
By the time I've had breakfast the bowls have thawed enough to tip the lumps of ice out, wash and refill.
It's usually thawed enough by lunchtime to use the hose to top up the horses' tubs, I'm not keen on carrying all those buckets. If cold weather is forecast I make sure they are both full.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
steveindenmark
Learner Laner

Post by steveindenmark »

The first birds in are always the blackbirds. Followed closely by the wood pigeons. They love it.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Crikey, that's cold Steve !!

Nice to see you welcome Pigeons - they're 'all Gods creatures' so to speak.

Great idea for the water.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome