Moorhen with poorly leg

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Moorhen with poorly leg

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have had up to 4 Moorhens in the garden who have enjoyed the food and also a fairly large but shallow water container.

I have noticed over the last week that one of them has a very sore leg/foot. So sore in fact that one day it was not putting it down to the floor at all,

It is still eating and bathing, but I do worry that it will get eaten by something or poss have an infection. Do not know what to do really, any ideas?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Moorhen with poorly leg

Post by kitla »

When I spotted an injured bird in our garden once I took some photos of it, then looked at them on the computer & zoomed in on the injury to see if there was anything obvious wrong. If you have a local animal rescue that treats wildlife you could give them a ring to see what they think.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Now why didn't I think of that, Kitla?
Having looked this morning, he/she is walking a lot better today, so will watch and see.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, Mrs or Mr Moorhen is recovering nicely, just a slight limp yesterday evening, so I am pleased.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Update on Mr/Mrs Moorhen.......leg all mended now and he/she comes two or three times a day and I think hiding under the conifers seems to be in favour too.
I am going to look on tinternet to see if I can learn more about them.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Glad the Moorhen has recovered from the leg injury. If he/she keeps going under the conifers is there potentially a nest there? It might be worth a quick peek when they are not there.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not looked to see if there is a nest, Wildlifemad.
Think I may have found out how he/she may have injured the leg though........according to the tinternet, when Moorhens fight they are quite vicious and use their legs a lot, inflicting nasty wounds. Also learnt that they climb trees, eat snails, fish, seeds, grass and goodness knows what else, so quite a varied diet.
They usually nest on the edge of water and are quite solitary until it is breeding time.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Its true about vicious fights, I've seen a few over the years (we do a lot of wildlife watching) & one fight we saw between 3 Moorhen made me want to get into the water & split them up! Coots are the same as well! Nice that you have that wildlife in your garden.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Little bit sad because we haven't seen the Moorhen for 3 days now. Hoping it may be sitting on a nest, but there isn't any water round here, apart from in the dykes and I am sure I read that they like to nest near water.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

They do usually nest near water so hopefully she has gone to make the next generation to bring to you!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not had a single sighting of the Moorhen, so just hoping she has found newer, better pastures.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have a pond with reeds one end and last week there were 2 adult moorhens with at least 4 chicks. The next evening I went out again and was climbing the slope above the pond when I saw something jumping up it ahead of me. Too big and black for a frog. Looked again - it was a fluffy moorhen chick struggling up through the weeds. At the top I saw that it had joined the adult who was striding out across the next door field without looking to see if it was keeping up.

Not sure what they eat, but they don't seem to stick to ponds.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire