Hedgehogs & Mealworms

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Hedgehogs & Mealworms

Post by wildlifemad »

Just thought I would post this to make people aware (if you didn't already know) that there is a disease called Metabolic Bone Disease which is being found more & more in Hedgehogs when they are rescued. I watched a 4 minute video that the vet has made at our local Vale Wildlife Hospital (it is on Youtube) to explain it all but it seems it is linked to feeding mealworms to them. I stopped feeding them mealworms a while ago when I read it was like us eating lots of chocolate,very enjoyable but no good for you!!! Hope this helps some of you with your feeding of the Hogs.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Hedgehogs & Mealworms

Post by kitla »

Oh no, I've never heard that. I make up a feed based on what I used to buy from a reputable wildlife feed company, it does include mealworms amongst other things. Is the problem eating too many of them, or should they not eat any atall? I thought it would discourage our hedgehog from eating too many slugs which can pass on lung worm.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Hedgehogs & Mealworms

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi Kitla. I only heard about it a couple of weeks ago & thought it best to mention it on here as I know some folks feed their Hogs. I'm not good with computers so can't manage to put a link on here!! I've looked at 2 different places where it tells you about it all. If you google "Metabolic bone disease in Hedgehogs" a YouTube video is very near the top which is done by the vet from Vale Wildlife explaining it all with x-rays as well. Also,if you go on www.hedgehogstreet.org, click on forum,then click "Hedgehog signs & sightings", look for the thread titled "What to feed Hedgehogs & the danger of too many mealworms" this is a written explanation & offers advice.
I used to feed mealworms,sunflower hearts,crushed nuts & raisins but then bought a dried Hog food (can't remember the name but it was £5 for a smallish bag!!!) they didn't touch it at all & I did persevere with it.I now buy wet cat food but as the hogs are a bit hit & miss at coming at the moment I don't want to waste the wet food so I have also bought some dry cat biscuits which are sometimes eaten. The way I look at it is if they find a few mealworms that the birds have left then fine but I wouldn't purposely put them out for them. Hope this helps.