The Partridge Family!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

The Partridge Family!

Post by KathJ »

We've seen this little partridge once or twice by our conservatory doors. At the weekend my hubbie went to plug in his lawnmower in the outside plug just above a patch of forget me not's in the corner and she calmly shuffled out and then trotted off. We were sat on the patio last night and she came out of the same spot again so I went to investigate and there was a nest right at the back with about half a dozen eggs in it. I hoped we hadn't disturbed her as she'd left the nest but about an hour later she came back. I've just read it can take around 24 days to hatch and she will probably keep going off and then come back to sit as she could even have another nest somewhere. They seem very vulnerable down on the grown but I guess they know what they're doing.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: The Partridge Family!

Post by Mo »

Hope they make it.
The was a pheasant nested in a clump of daffodils in my orchard one year. When you walked past you could hardly notice her, she was so well camouflaged. Then one day after the daffs had died back there was just a pile of feathers.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Gosh, that's nice. I've had my fair share of birds nesting and fledging this year, but a Partridge family, good for you.

Just need to watch for Predators after they've hatched, a Sparrowhawk has visited here a few times in the last 3 weeks - and the Jays.
I'm sure they've probably had one or two, but that's nature.

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We've had our eye on Mrs Partridge for a few weeks now and she's been sat faithfully on her eggs.
We were on the patio having a coffee on Saturday morning and unbelievably she came out of the forget me not's where she'd made her nest followed by 7 little babies no bigger than a cotton wool ball. We couldn't believe it, a million to 1 chance we'd actually be there and see them. They tottered and teetered after her away down the garden, we didn't know if they were just out for a little jaunt or they'd come back. A few hours later my hubbie saw them down by the chicken run and then we saw them a couple more times making their way further away from the nest. They didn't come back that night so that was obviously it and they'd gone. I was trying to get some photos but they were so little and well camouflaged it was difficult to see them. At one point mum must have spotted me because she made little cooing noises and they all ran to her and she tucked them under her.
We felt so privileged to have seen this remarkable act of nature. We just hope she still has 7 little babies. )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how magical!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Nature is just great isn't it, she obviously thought it was a safe place to raise her young. Well done!!!