baby hedgehog

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

baby hedgehog

Post by kitla »

Poor little thing got trapped in the rat cage trap last night - the second time this has happened, though as this was a different trap with a tunnel to climb up it hadnt crossed my mind that a hedgy would manage it! It seems ok, I phoned Tiggywinkles for advice & they think it sounds big enough to be independant (tennis ball size). I made it a nest in a shoebox inside a pet carrier with food & water, I heard munching, I shall release it by the feeding box this evening & hope it comes back. I've never actually met a baby hedgehog before, I wonder how many there were?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: baby hedgehog

Post by wildlifemad »

Lovely to see a baby hog (perhaps not great circumstances!!) It just shows that we should be using humane traps for the likes of rats & rabbits as at least anything else can be released unharmed. I had the same thing last week on the allotment, our neighbour there has put a rabbit trap down on our plot, the other morning there was a hog in it, he/she wasn't very chuffed about it but I got it out & put it in the garden area & it trundled off!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've made a new improved hoggy feeding station with a bigger, more transparent box. I set the camera last night & was delighted to see the big hedgehog and the baby hedgehog visiting several times last night. Baby hog was last around at 3.30, nearly time for bed, so I think there's a good chance its sleeping somewhere nearby - maybe in my old rotten hedgehog box (must build a new one!)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

How special kitla )t' )t'

As they say, those born now or a few weeks ago should be up to weight by the time hibernation comes round, just have to watch out for small ones more late August onwards.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Brilliant news Kitla!! I keep meaning to put our camera out but keep forgetting!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Left my camera out pointed at next door neighbour's garden shed last night, it's next to a beech hedge & a VERY overgrown veg patch, we think some hedgies might sleep there.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

baby hedgy didnt come out from under their shed, a big rat did though! But recently when I put the food out within a couple of minutes I hear munching, so I thought baby might have moved into my nearby manky old hedghog house. So I put the food in then stood quietly behind the house & waited...soon enough baby hedgy came under the fence from nextdoor & made his way to the food, brushing right past me! He's still quite small & not fat enough for winter, unlike the very big hedgy that also visits the box. I'll have to put extra food out.
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sounds like he's in a good place kitla.

)like(

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

It's a good job there are people out there happy to feed these fast declining mammals. We have at least 2 visiting at the moment & eating well! My hubby reckons the birds & hogs cost more to feed than our 2 cats used to!! I looked at the hog house yesterday that I thought had a female nesting in & am pretty sure she did, it is packed tight with bedding but hasn't been used for a week or so (I put sticks in front to make sure) & the hogs that are coming at the moment are certainly small ones as well as the large one. Keep up the good work Kitla!!!