mouse / rat

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

mouse / rat

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all three weeks a go My cat caught a furry creature 1 inch long . I saved it from the paws od death and put in a glass case with a mesh top.
Water and chicken feed , rabbit feed and veg , fern and saw dust , straw and hay , news paper for bedding . It seem quite happy and still alive .
I originally kept it to make sure it was well enough to go back in the wild.
After so long and it is looking at me through the glass I am wondering best place to release. No point in the garden as cats /chickens something will get it.
Now I have had a closer look at it it is about 1 and half inches long big ears and a tail 2 inches . Fury tail . I believe rats have a bold tail .
I was going to release it either in the fields on the green belt (Hedge row ) or the woods I walk in.
Now I feel responsible for it so do not want it to starve and get caught be creatures.
So suggestions please . I would get it fatter for winter but going on holiday and do not think fair to give the responsibility to someone else.
Not named yet but LUCKY- T. B . - Alive sounds good .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: mouse / rat

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I think if I were you Bob that I would release it back to the wild - perhaps the fields where you walk with your dogs. He may be desperate to get out to do his own thing and could be really missing his freedom.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Yes but it is a live to miss it.
Bob
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

A furry tail, could be a vole. They have less prominent ears than mice, a more blunt face, in my opinion.
Let it go somewhere where it has a lot of cover. woodpile, logs etc.
You could always release it with accessible food and shelter if it helps those heart strings. (overturned box with food and bedding).
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

As it was caught at town houses was not sure if survive in the woods . Also I think a bit young ,but as it survived for so long on hard food it must be old enough . Think I will take it to the woods at Thordon Country park . plenty of wood , room . Friends . Cover against foxes and birds .
Just a matter of catching it and transporting it without it escaping . trouble is it looks through the glass at the cats pawing the window trying to catch it . feeling safe .Not a good idea mouse.
Bob
Take a picture maybe.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm inclined to agree that it would probably be happier in the wild, and it would be better to release it sooner rather than later - it will have just a few short weeks to find a new home and feed up before the really cold weather arrives.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

my worry , fatting up.
bob
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

There is a wild life rescue centre in Lincolnshire, I took a bird there once, they look after any wildlife until it is ready for release. Have you looked for one near you? Other than that I agree with letting it go, into fields/woods.

Ilona
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Funny enough SHMBO has said that , but not sure what they could do as perfectly healthy . Just where to give it a chance for life on its own .
Still have it . Tonight seems a good time to let it go.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Came home to find 3 dead mice one of which was the lost one for sure.
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Awww, that's not nice. Have you any idea what happened to them?