visitor...

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Willow
Legendary Laner

visitor...

Post by Willow »

i went to check the ducks this afternoon and they had a freind swimming around with them on the pond.. a little moorhen!!
I know they're supposed to be common etc.. but what a stunning little bird!! I'm chuffed :-D
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ah that's sweet, i wonder if she will stay with you?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I doubt it, but it would be lovely.... we've left the area behind the pond 'wild', its totally overgrown and we dont touch it at all, she / he disapeared into that undergrowth after a while.. I was just amazed at how colourful they are.. I'd never realy looked at one before.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

She might come back there to have her babies next year, or , he could bring his wife with him to nest next year!!! (f+ Their babies are just sooooo cute and fluffy..aah. Lucky you (f+
Looove chucks!
wendy

Post by wendy »

and don't they have huge feet !
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I love moorhens.
When I’m out fishing in spring it’s one of the delights seeing the baby moorhens tagging along behind mummy. They have a most bizarre call in the twilight hours, a sort of squawky shriek, very different to the cooing sound they make during the day but not unpleasant. Keep us posted on her/him.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The smaller they are, the cuter - and often more intelligent don't you find.

Wendy mentioned the Wren on the Squirrel thread.
I have a nest just above the Kitchen window and if I'm using the Laptop in there, I see them sitting on a bit of the TV Aerial Cable in full view before they go in the Nest, usually with a twig in the mouth.

It's quite rare to get a decent view of them as tey're so quick, so I class myself as being so lucky.

Things like these give you far more of a kick than a lot of things you spend money on!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My bird table was a gift from middle son a couple of years ago and I get so much pleasure from it. We live in a bungalow and the table is just outside my bedroom window, so whenever I wake, if its light I can look out and see the birds having their brekkie :-D (Don't shut the curtains as our bedroom is at the back and not overlooked at all )t' )
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Great isnt it? I spent ages the other day watching a tiny Tit getting the seeds from a dry sunflower we have near the kitchen window.... :-D

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

wendy wrote:and don't they have huge feet !
Wendy

I didn't see its feet Wendy, just a quick glimps as it was swimming with the ducks then it shot under some overhanging plants.. I saw it again when this little black head appeared with a brilliant red forehead / beak and a bright yellow beak tip.. stunning..

Albert Einstein
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Wendy

and we know what that means :shock:
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Dave wrote:
Wendy

and we know what that means :shock:

Dave do you want to spend a fourtnight in the naughty corner??? )de:

Albert Einstein