House Martins return

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

House Martins return

Post by Spreckly »

The house martins are back, building nests above my study window. Last year they made a revolting mess down the window during the time my son was staying with me, and had opened the window.

This year to prevent the birds nesting in the same place, he trapped a plastic carrier bag through the opening part of the window. Has it worked? Has it heck!
They have been having a whale of a time, flying backwards and forwards building their little homes!

I shall not be opening the window, and hope the mess is minimal.

After the babies had flown, my neighbour used a telescopc pole to remove the detritus and the nests, it appears the birds have good memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: House Martins return

Post by Spreckly »

Well, it does appear that the plastic bag has frightened the house martins away. I am hopeful.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I hope they found another nest site though. They are sweet, I love the chuckling sounds from the nests - but yes they are messy!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

It's so sad to see so few house Martins and swallow here this year, we have about 10,the lowest number l have ever seen,and they were over 3 weeks late arriving.
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh my goodness, I just checked our house martin's nest in the front eave of our house, where they've nested every year for decades - no birds in there. Oh that's so sad. There's usually lots of them, (and swallows) flying around here but I've only seen about 4. I know they're now on the red list but that's a massive drop in numbers. Unless there's still some to come? but surely they should all be here by now?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Until it was mentioned, I hadn't realised how few swallows and house martins had been around. They didn't come back after a few days of flying backwards and forwards, as in my post.