Feed the Birds

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Feed the Birds

Post by chickenchaser »

I have just walked down to the chickens and back and most of the wild birds feeding into the garden didn't fly away, just hopped under the hedges until I'd passed, except for a blackbird that just gave me the dead eye without moving.

I filled up the feeders yesterday and put out the fat treats and bread and mixed peanuts with the wild bird food to give them a bit extra.

Their strange behaviour must be because they're having trouble finding food and, possibly know the weather is changing.

Anyway, just wanted to remind folks not to forget our feathered friends especially in the next couple of weeks. (f+
Jackie xx
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Mum tried out the fat balls I made and they went down a treat with the birds - especially the starlings!! Have bought a large bag of wild bird food (it says it has mealworms in but I can't see any so will get some extra) to keep them going through the cold snap we're expecting this week.

Edited to ask - am I right in thinking you can put bacon rind out for the birds?? Because I never eat the fat off the bacon, could I chop it up really small and put it on the bird table?
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I'm gonna feed the birds this morning. I give them: wild bird mix, peanuts, digestive biscuits, suet, soaked raisins, chopped up cheese and some water. I feel so sorry for them in this weather :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not too bad here. Thanks for reminding me though, I'll go and cut up some apples (I stored all the little ones for this).
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

My Bird table is always full Jackie its great to have them about i love it!

Broken the water for them this morning, will prob be frozen again this afternoon though

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My bird table was replenished again yesterday, plus I have some fat balls hanging next to it, there was a robin on it this morning and it looked just like a christmas card with the snow on the little roof that goes over the feeding tray :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

I do, but the snow keeps covering the bread and rice I put out. Good job I have some hanging ones and fat squares.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I think fat based treats are brilliant in this weather!

They don't freeze rock solid and the birds can always get at them and use the energy.

I'm taken over by blackbirds today. Lots of small birds on the feeders but I've counted 7 different male and female blackbirds.

Obviously word has got around (f+
Jackie xx