unidentified tracks

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Ninja1
Lively Laner

unidentified tracks

Post by Ninja1 »

we've been going for a few walks this week, as we couldn't get the car out :?
and it's fascinating the tracks that are to be found in the snow.

Most of them I can put a name too, but one I can't.
I think it may be a rabbit but not sure - I can't post a piccie yet so I'll try to describe it.

Image two prints (oval like an egg has been put inthe snow) one at 11 o'clock the other at 1 o'clock
behind them a single print about 2" behind then another single one behind that about 3"
If it's a rabbit then it's either got three legs or it's hopping sideways ! or as my OH said, one of them is carrying the other just to confuse us )t'
Any ideas please ? I should say that these tracks are not localised, but are everywhere we walk !
please solve the mystery
Ninja
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

Rabbit prints are two round prints for the front paws and then two long ones for the hind legs because they hop using their hind feet and lower limb. Foxes tend to put their hind paws into the impression left by the front paws and thus give the idea that you are looking at a three legged animal.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I think I have your answer, I've just seen the cat running across the snow, and she's leaving marks like that.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Post by Ninja1 »

I know what you mean about the cat prints, but it's definately not them, these prints are everywhere, across the fields, the lanes and garden, millions of them !

By the way, just came back from another walk across the fields and saw some deer against the snow - beautiful.
Ninja
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Maybe the rabbits aren't putting their back legs down as much because it's cold (f+

I thought there had been a dog in the garden when I went to see the chooks this afternoon. Turns out it is my overgrown ginger tom, Garfield. The snow has started to melt making them much larger than they really are :?
Jackie xx
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Post by Ninja1 »

I'm going to get a pic and if I can figure out how to post it, you'll see what I mean :)
Ninja
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

did you get a picture put up in the end?
to err is human..to moo, bovine...