Please remember the birds ...

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Please remember the birds ...

Post by Ninja1 »

Please remember to feed the birds :) they're having a tough enough time of it as it is.

I make a sort of 'clicking' noise when I go out to feed them, (it's an age thing) and they all come down for their food :-D
Ninja
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Yes we are feeding the birds. They have had fat balls, peanuts, seed and oats but they still come down for the layers ellets too.

We've had blue tits, great tits, longtail tits, robins, sparrows blackbirds and a rather scraggy starling oh and a couple of pigeons.

We sometimes get a fieldfare this time of year.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I went out into my alleged garden (it's more like a large paddling pool with a clay base at the moment )de:
I put out loads of wild bird seed, 2 fat blocks and extra mealworms.
The starlings have been acting liek a pack of hyenas ever since - even when they're not feeding they sit on the fence and keep the little birds away.
Then a huge crow turned up and they hopped round next door's garden looking put out.
My feeder is outside the patio doors so I have a great view of it. Ever time I start to get stuff out of the freezer or hang laundry on the clothes horse I end up staring at the birds for ages!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

We feed the birds too but at the mo we have one single magpie who sits and looks at us from the garage roof.
Not sure I like that.

Evie
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

we feed the birds. Since we have had the chickens our bird population has trebled as they can get into the run. They have their own table too with fat balls and the like, but they like running the mantle of the coop, as the girls are quite territorial and like a bit of chasing!
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes table here for them all very spoilt birds in my garden!

Fats, seed, bread, fresh water each day is also very important, with the freezing weather we have had over the past weeks!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
yorkielass
Lively Laner

Post by yorkielass »

Spoilt birds here too.

Fresh water every day, wild bird seed, left over chicken porridge, fat balls etc :-D
Anne
SHARKY
Learner Laner

Post by SHARKY »

Posted: 6 Feb 09 pm 1 05 Post subject: Please remember the birds ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to feed the birds they're having a tough enough time of it as it is.

I make a sort of 'clicking' noise when I go out to feed them, (it's an age thing) and they all come down for their food
Ninja
You should take a cod liver oil capsule every day, that should help :-D
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

I feed the birds, mostly there is collard Doves, Well lots of them! OH thought they were feral pidgons. I told him to put his glasses on.
chickens rock!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have a minor dilemma insofar as I really do want to feed the birds but there is a moggie around our way that keeps killing them. I did stop feeding them for a while because it really isn’t fair to temp them in with a promise of food only for their lives to be taken by an ambushing cat. I have put feed out again and have my fingers crossed that someone’s pet doesn’t rediscover the feeding ground and add to the 450,000,000 wild birds and animals mur.dered by domestic cats each year.
)de:
Bah Humbug
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

S-S, my mum has the same problem - she has 2 cats who are bird killing machines. She now hangs fat balls on the very ends of twiggy bits sticking out high up her hawthorn hedge. The twigs are strong enough to support the fat balls and the birds, but the cats are far too heavy to get anywhere near them.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!