Rats

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
stormingnorman
Lively Laner

Rats

Post by stormingnorman »

Hi
Hope alls well not communicated for a while

I know there are previous posts on this subject but I couldn't find the answer.

I've got 27 chickens in a very large run. I have recently noticed rats. I suspect one familly and think they are nesting under the chicken house they seem to scatter when I let chickens out in the mornings

I have in the past used a warfarin based rat poison in a length of drain pipe, the theory being that rats crawl through the pipe and get the poison and take it back to the nest to feed the family. The access through the pipe restricts it to small rodents. I am concerned however about using this method if they are nesting near the chickens. Any suggestions please

stormingnorman
i dont understand enough about computers
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
Good to see you back.
That is always the problem with poison. I know dogs have to eat a fair bit for it to effect them nowadays. But I don't think the same would apply to chickens.
I use ferret poop under my house, but it has to be changed fairly often.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

we had to lift our coops and concrete underneath, it was the only way that we could get them away from the house, we then tried everything env friedly to get rid, but in the end we used a porper killer with warfrin in. It had to be done they were everywhere and coning into our house.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills