Buzzards

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Buzzards

Post by Bluefinch »

When we first moved here the first thing I noticed when we looked at our house before buying were the buzzards (at least I think that is what they are) flying overhead. We see them every day sitting on the fence or the electricity poles. In the last week we have seen up to 6 of them just sitting in the grass in the field - I am assuming they are looking for worms! I want to try and photograph them this week as they don't move as we drive up the drive. They are so beautiful and some are much bigger than others - perhaps some are youngsters. Don't know much about buzzards but feel privileged to see them every day.
saint-spoon

Re: Buzzards

Post by saint-spoon »

could well be a family group of them with the parents and last season's offspring.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I went out to recce a walk yesterday, and saw 2. The first in a tree, the flapping along the hedge and away over the field, quite near. The second was high above a valley but I was on a hill so it was not as high above me as they are when they fly above my garden.

As I wasn't walking with a group I saw a lot of birds, heard 2 woodpeckers but only saw one.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

with buzzards I believe them to be quite territorial as a mated pair so to see six together means that they are on family. Not sure how long the fledged birds stay with their parents but it I have often seen four or five birds in flight together.
Bah Humbug
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Haven't seen many over winter but they are starting to be more noticeable now. Had one fly very low right in front of me today when out with Tess dog. Summertime here they are calling and flying over and around our garden all the time.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bluefinch are you sure they were buzzards not redkites? We get both around here but in winter I usually only buzzards singly. (buzzards tail has a straight edge whereas red kites is forked)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I did wonder about kites to be honest, they are still rare enough but with large localised populations that are apparently becoming a nuisance.
Bah Humbug
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I think they are buzzards but will have a better look next time I see them flying. Interesting about them being a family - we did wonder about that.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Kites have an inverted V shape in their lower feathers.

Here's a couple of my photos

BUZZARD...

[center]Image[/center]

RED KITE...

[center]Image[/center]

Both are beautiful )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome