Antics of Dally our duck

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Antics of Dally our duck

Post by Gwenoakes »

What a game we had this morning with Dally.

She is cordoned off with builders plastic fencing and in the enclosure there is another area cordoned off because of the ivy we have.

Dally has laid an egg almost every single day since we had her earlier this year and always done it in the wash house, but not this morning. Oh no, she decided to climb, yes I said climb up the builders fencing and go over into where the ivy is! Three times I took her out, made it more secure and she still managed to get in, so I left her to lay her egg then she paced up and down for me to lift her out again. Blooming ducks.

So now when Clare comes home we will be taking the ivy up and dismantling the builders plastic fencing as I do not want a repeat of this mornings antics and cant leave her with the ivy in case she starts to eat it.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Antics of Dally our duck

Post by sandy »

It is funny how they will do what THEY want wont they? Gosh I didn't realise ivy was bad for ducks, you certainly learn something new on here everyday )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not positive that ivy is bad for ducks, Sandy. Just didnt want to take any chances as I dont think they call it 'poison' ivy for nothing. LOL

We havent taken the ivy up, after all, just cordoned it off more securely and she hasnt been able to get in any more.

Wouldnt mind, but we took her on, there were originally two of them, because they were being badly treated/neglected. The other one, Dilly was too far gone, so was pts after us having her for a few days.

We know its not ideal keeping one duck on its own, nor is it ideal the type of enclosure we have but we have the house on the market and didnt want to put up a proper enclosure or get another duck/s until after we move.

She seems very contented and has regular visits from our two cats who she follows round, also we go out and spend time with her quite often during the day. She loves her little pond too and is splashing around in it most days.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think 'poison ivy' is an American plant that stings if you touch it - maybe one of our US members can enlighten us. (or I could Google if I could be bothered)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

A quick update on Dally.

Because of the cold weather we were spending less and less time with her, cats were in more and as a consequence of that she was on her own most of the time, so we asked/begged a good friend not far from us who has two call ducks to take her on.

She went to them about two weeks ago and is absolutely loving it, the very first night she was snuggled up with both of her new friends, so we are feeling relieved and happy that she now has friends of her own kind.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Dally was able to move to a good home like our Lucky Ducky was able to . It is such a relief knowing they are still going to have a great life
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/