Indian Runner Ducks

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
Milzy241
Lively Laner

Indian Runner Ducks

Post by Milzy241 »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could shed light onto Indian Runner Duck keeping for me.
I used this site before I got chickens and it was a HUGE help. I have had the chickens for over a year now and its going from strength to strength (started with 6 then got into chicken rescue so now got 10.............but im sure we will have more)
Anyhow, we are now thinking of getting 2 female Indian Runner Ducks. The idea is that they can have the run of the garden (the area they will have free reign of is approx 60m x 5m and mainly grass with hedging at the sides and a few wood chip / bark paths). The chickens are fenced off and have their own area so they wont be able to mix with each other.
So, my questions are:- 1. what sort of access to water do they need ?? We were thinking of sinking a pond approx 3m x 3m by 1m deep and simply leaving it to go 'wild' ie not changing the water, letting grow whatever grows in it etc etc.
2. do they put themselves to bed at night ? will they go into their house so all we have to do is shut them in and let them back out in the morning ? or will we have to 'heard' them in at night ?
3. I was told we could feed them what we feed the chickens , layers pellets, but also throw so corn/wheat into the 'pond' for them ??
4. what bedding material do they need, again I was told straw like the chucks and then clean them out when in do the chucks ??

All advice very much appreciated.

Cheers

Milzy
clunie
Learner Laner

Re: Indian Runner Ducks

Post by clunie »

Hi Milzy

I hope that you manage to get your Indian Runners. I got my first two last year so hopefully I may be able to answer some of your questions, although I am still in the learning phase also.

They need enough water to be able to dip their heads in to clean their eyes (so I was told) so your idea of a pond should be fine. Although the ducks will probably strip the pond of all vegetation. Also I have discovered that my pond frequently needs to cleaned out as it has no water inlet or outlet - it can become really stinky quite quickly!

Mine have only once taken themselves off to bed - I think that was a sheer fluke! I have to herd mine in every night and tend to do it just before dusk. The one and only time that I was away and came back and it was dark, they were sitting in the pond thinking that they were safe, but as it is quite small they obviously weren't.

I feed mine layers pellets in the morning (non medicated) and put some mixed corn in their feed dish in the afternoon. I have heard of putting food in the water but mine tend not to eat it from the water.

finally I use sawdust on the floor and straw ontop of that Some think that the sawdust keeps the straw drier, but I'm not sure I just find it easier for cleaning up.

i hope that I have been able to help with some answers.
Just be warned there is also moreducks disease. Like you I had two females, then I got a male. Now I have hatched 4 ducklings (100% success rate!). They are now 3 weeks old and incredibly cute!

Good luck )t'