The seaside bantams - the saga continues

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
seawall
Learner Laner

The seaside bantams - the saga continues

Post by seawall »

Hello again. I posted an ad attempting to offload several of our bantam cockerels but without any success, so they are still with us. This is in addition to our three bantam hens, and now we have two new additions, a couple of frizzles. These are what M really wanted in the first place. One, a chocolate came from a nice lady near Crewkerne and I indelicately named her Bogbrush - then waited for the volley of outrage...

Two days later off we went to Cornwall to pick up another. I sensed that something was not quite right in Bodmin, just after M's satnav app or her phone had carefully steered us into Sainsbury's car park. 'Don't you see the funny side of anything?' I was asked. Well about 15 minutes later I was able to answer that when the clutch completely packed up. As it turned out this was only about 100 from our destination, up a narrow lane on a slope, on a bend with two cars behind us. (In the hour that I sat with the car waiting for recovery I only saw two more cars use the lane). So no, not funny. Frizzle collected, recovery requested and eventually off for a leisurely ride home in the tow truck with new frizzle riding along in the back of the car.

The frizzles were introduced to each other and the new gingery blonde item promptly started asserting herself all over the resident choc. I'm sure it's not ever too serious but the anguished tweets do tend to bother one. A couple of hours later though they bedded down together for the night in their well- appointed recycling bin, in the shed. Equilibrium has now been established there; they are both able to assert themselves equally.

They were introduced to the bigger birds the following day and surprisingly to me it was the bantam hens to tended to pick on them the most. They had been tentatively named Esme, Constance and Letitia in view of their quiet and unassuming nature, but rapidly transformed themselves into Stacey, Kaleigh and Shazza - a bunch of vindictive bitches! Apologies to any pleasant Staceys, Kaleighs and Shazzas out there by the way.. The excesses were tamed with judicious use of a hand held plant sprayer set on jet, they only have to see it now and they return to a more demure state.

So, a week later. The frizzles show no interest in bunking down in the hen house at night and come bouncing down the thirty or so steps from the top terrace where the rest are resident. We still have the four bantam cockerels which are about 20 weeks old; any help in reducing this number would still be appreciated although I know this is unlikely. They are all lovely in their own way and it would be nice if they could go to good homes somewhere.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: The seaside bantams - the saga continues

Post by sandy »

How are your new family coming along? I hope you found new homes for the boys? Photos would be nice )x(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/